best midrange custom iem?
Jul 2, 2008 at 2:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

hockeyb213

BANNED: BAD TRADER
well my budget it above livewire and freQ level but under the 700 dual driver ultimate ears what is there available in the 4-600 doller range? edit: I can bump my budget all the way inro ue 11 range but I need to hear from you guys about how much better they are first

Jul 2, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #2 of 15
If people said E500 mid is slik smooth, I'll say UE 11 mid is liquid smooth. But UE11 is quite demanding. It need to be properly drive. To me, livewire mid is recess

Jul 2, 2008 at 8:24 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can bump my budget all the way inro ue 11 range but I need to hear from you guys about how much better they are first

If you have a possibility to stretch the budget to the UE-11 then please do so, you won't regret it!

Jul 2, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by theory_87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If people said E500 mid is slik smooth, I'll say UE 11 mid is liquid smooth. But UE11 is quite demanding. It need to be properly drive. To me, livewire mid is recess

It is odd you say that because I have the UE11 and don't find it improves much with an amp.

hockeyb213, you may want to hold off slightly until there are some reviews of the Sleek custom model. The SA6 has a terrific midrange, and the custom is based off the SA6. I should actually have the custom in hand later today and will post some impressions in a few days. I have the UE11 and FreQShow to compare/contrast.

Jul 2, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is odd you say that because I have the UE11 and don't find it improves much with an amp.

hockeyb213, you may want to hold off slightly until there are some reviews of the Sleek custom model. The SA6 has a terrific midrange, and the custom is based off the SA6. I should actually have the custom in hand later today and will post some impressions in a few days. I have the UE11 and FreQShow to compare/contrast.

which amp are you using btw? Without proper amping, it sound congested. If i were to run without amp, i will rather get UE5pro/c as without proper amping
it sound close

Jul 2, 2008 at 2:34 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by theory_87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
which amp are you using btw? Without proper amping, it sound congested. If i were to run without amp, i will rather get UE5pro/c as without proper amping
it sound close

RSA Predator. Only time I hear a difference is when using the USB DAC from my laptop, but I believe that has more to do with the source than the UE11 itself.

Jul 3, 2008 at 12:32 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RSA Predator. Only time I hear a difference is when using the USB DAC from my laptop, but I believe that has more to do with the source than the UE11 itself.

To my ear, RSA pretator is not good enough. I Used Xin Micro, SR71 and Xin Reference as my amp.

Jul 3, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #8 of 15
well guys remember it is a iem and does not require a huge amount of power so you don't necessarily need a super amp I bet they are pretty good right out of a ipod but in my case a ibasso boa is powering em I wanna go translucent blue with either a white or black cord

Jul 3, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well guys remember it is a iem and does not require a huge amount of power so you don't necessarily need a super amp I bet they are pretty good right out of a ipod but in my case a ibasso boa is powering em I wanna go translucent blue with either a white or black cord

read this post
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/4217407-post1090.html

Jul 19, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #12 of 15
I don't know if this is considered thread hijacking...

I am trying to choose a custom IEM, and I seem to be having the same problems as hockeyb213.
I want a custom IEM and I have the cash for the UE 11's but I hear great things about the freQshows and the livewires, for half the price.

I am new to the whole scene, I just got a Tomahawk, to match my UE Triple.fi's.

I'm thinking I would have to get a Predator if I got the UE 11's. So it would be quite an investment.
Should I just take the plunge, with the UE 11's. Or should I take the stepping stone of a midrange custom.

I really want a pair of customs.

Nov 22, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #14 of 15
I dont know if they're made for music. But the Westone ES3's are supposed to have huge HUMP in their frequency response towards the mid-range. you might wanna consider that also. I heard everything else about it is kinda weak.

Nov 23, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #15 of 15
I cannot figure out why UE dropped the UE5c. I have a set and they were a great option for $550.

I could not be happier.

I have not been on here in months nor on UE's site. Anyone say why they dropped the UE5c?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back