Best introduction to the senn/grado sound signature
Jan 3, 2008 at 1:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Solodarn

100+ Head-Fier
So I would like to get a feel for the sound signature of a couple other brands of phones, namely grado and sennheiser. And, seeing as how I would like to get a new phone soon, it seems like I might try it out now. The problem is that the place I see these phones getting the most use will not have an amp to speak of. Also, while I'll listen to a bit of music on them to get the feel, these phones may end up being more of a show/movie headphone of sorts, but that is not really a major concern. I say it mostly to indicate that my budget for these phones is rather low since my use for them will be rather limited; I'm quite happy with my 990s
biggrin.gif

What I am really wondering is which phone will offer the best introduction to the sound signature for the given company:

SR60, 80
HD555, 595

This is, I would suppose, kind of a complicated question but if anyone has an opinion on which one headphone above best represents the sound signature of their respective brand I would love to hear it. The thought is this may open up a door to buying one of the higher up models if I absoutely love the sound sig while paying minimally now =)

Long post, but any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jan 3, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #4 of 16
Perhaps I should refine my question to make it clearer. These listed phones are ones that I have heard offer an alright introduction to their respective brands, their sound is a decent representation of the sound signature found in the higher priced models. Granted, limited by their price. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

But lets take the SR80 and 595 as an example. Does the 80 offer a better introduction to the grado sound signature than the 595 would offer to the sennheiser sound signature, or perhaps vice versa? Im trying to figure out which single headphone of the 4 would offer the best introduction to the sound signatures of the higher models.

I would prefer to buy a phone that lets me know, within reason of course, what the pricier models would sound like.

As I read this I realize it still may be a bit obscure, lol.

Jan 3, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #5 of 16
I have both the 555 and 595 and IMO the 555's should fit the bill for you. They dont need to be amped to give really great Senn sound and they can be had for as low as $99!

I cant comment on the Grados as I have yet to purchase mine, I am torn between the 60,80 or 125's.

Jan 3, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #6 of 16
I agree with the 555s being the better intro and prefer the sr80 for the grados. The 595s are just a more refined version of the 555s but can sound thinner with lesser sources/amps. The 580 is the good intro to the hd600/650 line but will need to be amped well.

The sr60s can sound more fun for some than the 80s because of the pads that come with them but If you want a better intro to grados then get the 80s since you now have a can that already comes with the standard bowls that all other stock grados come with

Jan 3, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by walls /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I cant comment on the Grados as I have yet to purchase mine, I am torn between the 60,80 or 125's.

Based on my experience with the SR80 and what I've read at Head-Fi and elsewhere, I suggest redirecting your attention to the SR225 or SR325i. If I were buying Grado again, it would be the SR325i.

Jan 3, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #9 of 16
Huzzah, thanks 1Time thats the kind of information I was looking for. I think the senn signature was looking more appealing to me anyway, but didn't want to bias anything.

Jan 3, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #10 of 16
I agree that if you have to get a grado and are used to refined sounding speakers or other more refined cans that the 225s are the bare minimum. Sr80s will give you a good taste of the grado tonal balance though. As for senns, It is a divided camp. 5xx vs the 580/6xx series sound. The 5xx series are less refined but are more of a middle ground between senns and grados. If you don't plan on becoming a headphone freak, The 555s are a really great compromise. Just burn them in enough number of hours because they are thin and nasal when brand new out of the box.

Jan 3, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Based on my experience with the SR80 and what I've read at Head-Fi and elsewhere, I suggest redirecting your attention to the SR225 or SR325i. If I were buying Grado again, it would be the SR325i.

Im on a pretty tight budget though so I really only need to know which is the best in the three I mentioned.
wink.gif

Jan 3, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by walls /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im on a pretty tight budget though so I really only need to know which is the best in the three I mentioned.
wink.gif

I'm guessing if you took a poll and asked what members thought would sound best, more than 3 out of 4 would say the SR125. Are you thinking one of the lesser models would be better?

Jan 3, 2008 at 5:09 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree, anything less in the grado line up is dissapointing especially if you've ever heard a decent sound system. Lots of people rave about their sr60's on this site, but fact of the matter is they lack depth, bass and soundstage among other things. Kind of sound like tin cans. lol.

Jan 3, 2008 at 7:40 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by classic_rock_69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, anything less in the grado line up is dissapointing especially if you've ever heard a decent sound system. Lots of people rave about their sr60's on this site, but fact of the matter is they lack depth, bass and soundstage among other things. Kind of sound like tin cans. lol.

1) If you ever heard a decent sound system anything less than SR225s and SR325is are disappointing.

2) Lots of people rave about their SR60s on this site, but the fact of the matter is they lack depth, bass and soundstage among other things

3) SR60s sound like tin cans.

Jan 3, 2008 at 8:03 AM Post #15 of 16
I own a RS-1 and a MS1 and I had the opportunity to hear a 125 and a 325. For sure the RS-1 is more refined and also deserve better components in order to sound better..the 125 is a good headphone overall and there is not so much difference with her bigger sister RS-1, the 325 is a better headphone but is to crispy on highs..so..be careful.The MS1 is very close to the 125 sound maybe a little less refined but just slighty. I'd go with the 125 ..to me it's a good value for the money..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back