Best IEM's for Metalcore/Hardcore under $100
Dec 26, 2008 at 4:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Q-Tip-81

Head-Fier
Hey guys, this is my first post.....I searched the forums for an answer to my question but couldn't find any specifics.

I'm certainly not an audiophile, rather, I'm a cheap college kid who's looking for the highest quality with his low budget. Screwing up on a purchase sucks. So I was hoping you guys could help me a bit.

I'm specifically looking for IEM's that will maintain detailed and clear high-pitched 'demon possessed children' screams and cookie monsters, while having a powerful double bass. This is not my area of expertise, so you'll have to forgive my barbarian description.

If possible, I want to keep the price below $100.

Thanks for you help.

Dec 26, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #2 of 9
Welcome to Head-Fi.

For $100 methinks you can get a Westone UM1. Ideally it would have to be UM2 but that's like double the price of UM1.

Westones are known for superb synergy for rock/metal with that prominent bass response.

Your other choice could be Sony latest EX series (I forgot which one) but if I were to just listen to rock and metal I would not discard Sony EX easily

Dec 26, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #4 of 9
The Ultimate Ears super.fi 5 Pros are supposed to be great for metal, but they are $160. There is the super.fi 3 studio, but I am not sure if they would be as fitting for metal as the 5 Pros.

Dec 26, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethan961 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Ultimate Ears super.fi 5 Pros are supposed to be great for metal, but they are $160. There is the super.fi 3 studio, but I am not sure if they would be as fitting for metal as the 5 Pros.

If you're going all the way to $160, I'd say give the Head-Direct RE0 a shot.

Dec 26, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #6 of 9
I was quite impressed when using my Denon C700 (C751 now, same thing) with rock and metal. You may consider looking into these, you could also check out the Nuforce NE-7M which are supposed to be a pretty good value for whatever you're listening to, though I have not heard these myself.

Dec 26, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by somestranger26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was quite impressed when using my Denon C700 (C751 now, same thing) with rock and metal. You may consider looking into these, you could also check out the Nuforce NE-7M which are supposed to be a pretty good value for whatever you're listening to, though I have not heard these myself.

The other good choice from Nuforce would be the NE-8, which might be better if looking for a more tightly controlled bass response (at the expense of overall bass impact) and better treble.

Dec 26, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #8 of 9
i got the ne-7ms for xmas after using the denon c751/c700 for 3 months and the nuforce blow the denons out of the water! Guitars, vocals, bass drum hits are all much more natural with the nuforce.. Cymbals are a little better with the Denons, but they exaggerate treble so much on vocals and guitars that they are worthess for many types of loud music. 50 bucks for the nuforce will save you a LOT of money in the long run and will make you listen to music even when you might not want to..

Dec 26, 2008 at 6:48 AM Post #9 of 9
Thanks guys....for my budget and lack of experience with upper-end phones, I think I've settled on the NE-7's.

Do you guys know if they make them without the mic? It doesn't look cumbersome, but for me it's a bit unneeded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back