Best ebook reader for bookmarking and notes?
Oct 25, 2009 at 12:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

wnewport

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm a college student and I'm thinking of getting an ebook reader. I know many (all?) readers have options for dog-earing, bookmarking, making notes, etc. but which one does it best? The main thing I'd want to do is connect the reader to my pc, look at pdfs, see my notes and bookmarks, manipulate and copy them, and then have everything both on my pc and ebook reader.

Is the experience of bookmarking and taking notes on an ebook reader a good one? Or am I better off with some pen and paper?

Search and Dictionary options are also important.

The keyboard on the Kindle 2 seems like the best feature for this, but I'd be open to other options.

Also, which reader has the best backlit screen? I do almost all of my reading at night, lights out, with a book light right now, so a well, evenly lit screen is important.

I'd use the reader almost exclusively for pdfs that get for free with the classes I take. I still like owning physical books, so it wouldn't replace my growing library anytime soon.

Oct 26, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #2 of 4
Kindle does not work in dark. eink works in a way that it helps to have light on it. I have a Kindle and prefer to read in sunlight.

You're almost better off just using laptop or netbook with your needs.

Oct 26, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #4 of 4
The Sony PRS-600 is good as well. You can highlight and handwrite notes right on a specific page on the touchscreen. It also has a dictionary and search functions. I don't believe the PRS-300 has a dictionary.

Though I agree with oldskoolboarder; it sounds like a netbook would better meet your needs. There's no backlight on the Sony ebooks, though I do have a case with a built in light for mine. You can also get a netbook for the same amount or even cheaper than the PRS-600 at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back