'Best' DIY amp between NOS DAC and AKG K701
Dec 8, 2010 at 9:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

gommer

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

This might seem as a cross post, because i posted this in the equipment forum too, but since my first post i have decided to go DIY all the way. So here i am, elaborating on my original question

I will be using the DDDAC (non-oversampling DAC without output filter) because of it's non fatiguing sound and very accurate timing, resulting in a perfect midrange and a very tight and responsive bass. The AKG K701 is choosen because of it's bass extension and non-ephasized mid-bass in combination with a perfect and revealing midrange. Over bright highs, as far as present,  with these cans are a non-issue in combination with the DDDAC.

Most important, i'm a very strong believer that timing is the most important factor in experiencing music.

Can anyone recommend a good (the best) DIY heaphone amp with the next qualifications:
- equally performant in the timing domain
- complementing or matching sound to the above combination
- integrated cross feed is of no importance. I want this, but i can always add it as a separate board.
- max price €250 (PCB + components, without case)

Obviously, it's unimportant to me how the amp measures, because the DDDAC also measures horrible. The sound is most important to me. Solder skills and electronic skills are very good. For most schematics I understand how they work. I'm leaning towards class A and i'm wondering/doubting how evil OPAMPS are. How important low gain and low feedback are. I can't afford (money and or time) to by/build/compare many different amps to try them. Because of time constraints i'm also mostly interested in designs with existing PCB. I'm not afraid of sourcing the components, but kits are welcome nevertheless.

All comments are welcomed and appreciated.  
Kind regards,
Marc

Dec 9, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #2 of 9
On this thread: http://rockgrotto.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=m&action=display&thread=5700&page=1 owners of K701s are saying this: http://cgi.ebay.com/HLLY-Headphone-Amplifier-PCB-KIT-NEW-Version-/400165442193 is great for them.  I just received my kit, but have a couple of other projects to finish before I can start on it.  The way the pot is mounted is odd, but you can use either a coupler shaft (with the case that is designed for the amp, or vice versa...) or mount the pot on the chassis and run the wires back..

Dec 9, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for that, i'll go and do my research in the next few days.

Meanwhile, i've also been charmed by Gilmore's Dynalo. Reason: small gain and feedback and no caps in signal path. This should mean there's not much messing in the time domain involved. The panda is tempting though because of it's simplicity to build and it's price.

Dec 9, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #4 of 9
Also take a look at the Lovely Cube, a clone of the Lehmann. It can be ordered as a fully populated board all you need is a case and 15v transformer. A nice feature of it is switchable gain.

Dec 10, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #5 of 9
I've just ordered the  Panda amp. What the heck, it's so cheap that i can't go wrong. If it's no good (unlikely), i can always use it at work where it will certainly perform better than the laptop phones output. Let's hope it's as good as some folks on RG claim it to be.

Dec 10, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
The way the pot is mounted is odd,

In fact, pot is mounted very smart and logical. Each pot's section is perfectly symmetrical to each amp's channel, and close. Use shaft, don't use long wires from pot to amp.
An other thing, I like on board - massive heatsinks work like screen between PS and amp part.

Dec 12, 2010 at 6:24 AM Post #7 of 9
Hi all,

I've done some more research and i'm wondering... In contrast to my original post, it's not because i've ordered the Panda Amp that i'm not looking further. The Panda amp was simply such a bargain and so simple that it will serve as a kick start. I keep looking at other designs.

Has anyone experience to compare this simple Panda amp to a Dynalo or CK²III
Dynalo seems to be the most elaborate design, especially with a good tracking powersupply. It has low feedback and no reactive components in the audio path.
CK²III is simpler, same design filosofy and it has no (global) feedback at all. Seems also very interesting.

Dec 12, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #8 of 9
Someone on the Rock Grotto thread said that they preferred the Panda over the CK2III.  I have the parts ready to go for a CK2III myself, that I was planning on building before I saw the Panda, so I should be able to compare them once I've got them both running, but that won't be for a few weeks(maybe a Xmas/New Years break project)...  Trying to finish a Buffalo II build for someone at the moment..  I've also read that the CK2III sound character is affected by the choice of output Transistors,  with the BD139/140 sounding somewhat "thinner" than the MJE243/253.  Cfcubed likes his with 2SA1837FM / 2SC4793FM, which I'm thinking I'd like to try also.. 

Dec 12, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #9 of 9
Many thanks again, i'd sure like to get feedback once you have build them both. I'm gathering all my courage to finish the RG thread now (you really have to read every post to find the interesting things inbetween all the rubbish).

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back