BEST DAP FOR RUNNING / GYM - HIGH END
Oct 3, 2022 at 5:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mgmvegas

New Head-Fier
Can anyone suggest the very best small / portable DAP for use whilst runing and in the gym.

I have a SHANLING M8 at the moment but this is too bulky for training and can't be put in a pocket .

Budget is not really an issue - I just want the very best.

I have all music on TIDAL / QOBUZ and prefer to stream or save for offline play.

Any suggestions would be great - HIBI R3 / SONY 507 / SHANLING M3X are on my list but any suggestions please.

I am looking at picking up the CAMPFIRE AUDIO SUPERMOON so needs to drive these well

Oct 4, 2022 at 7:31 AM Post #2 of 7
Can anyone suggest the very best small / portable DAP for use whilst runing and in the gym.

I have a SHANLING M8 at the moment but this is too bulky for training and can't be put in a pocket .

Budget is not really an issue - I just want the very best.

I have all music on TIDAL / QOBUZ and prefer to stream or save for offline play.

Any suggestions would be great - HIBI R3 / SONY 507 / SHANLING M3X are on my list but any suggestions please.

I am looking at picking up the CAMPFIRE AUDIO SUPERMOON so needs to drive these well
Forget the Hiby R3 for Qobuz I believe, and Tidal needs Wifi so no go. The 507 only if you can get your hands on an imported item without volume cap. I’d point you to the DX170. Or even the DX240 but the format pushes the limit of your use case. Also the Tempotec V6 is in its last day on Kickstarter. And then the SR25, mostly for the luxurious A&K build.

Oct 4, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #3 of 7
I use a Fiio M11Pro in my pants pocket when walking. Tidal‘s downloaded playlists do not need WiFi. Downloaded albums need to be “refreshed” before you leave home as they “expire” in the downloaded section. Maybe some licensing constraint?

If you hadn’t said that money is not a limitation for you, I would have said keep your Shanling and buy a fanny pack :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #4 of 7
Sony A107 for offline streamed audio if not needing balanced cables. Small and light and about 6hrs battery for offline streamed audio. Not high-end but doubt you will find light/small for high-end.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2022 at 2:41 AM Post #5 of 7
I use a Fiio M11Pro in my pants pocket when walking. Tidal‘s downloaded playlists do not need WiFi. Downloaded albums need to be “refreshed” before you leave home as they “expire” in the downloaded section. Maybe some licensing constraint?

If you hadn’t said that money is not a limitation for you, I would have said keep your Shanling and buy a fanny pack :wink:
Isn't the FIO M11 PRO still bulky to keep in your pocket for running ? Maybe walking is ok !!

Oct 6, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #6 of 7
Isn't the FIO M11 PRO still bulky to keep in your pocket for running ? Maybe walking is ok !!
It's bulky, but it fits my pants pocket. A vest or jacket is ideal. If I was running I would use my fanny pack, but my running days are over :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back