Best DAC/Amp for AKG 701/702 AND HD650 between $400-500?
Dec 16, 2010 at 10:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

steveotron

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm currently entertaining the possibility of getting both of these headphones, so I have been reading a ton of posts for research.

I think if I had to get just one, based on the kind of music I listen to (experimental/math/indie/post-rock, hip hop, electronic, jazz, and some pop), I would go with the HD650. However, I also do listen to a little classical music, and I think it'd be ideal to just have a 2nd pair of very good headphones that offer a different listening experience.

Anyways, most of the posts about DAC+Amps are for the individual headphones, so I was hoping to get more of a consensus from you guys within one thread.

For the HD650, I've come to the conclusion that the NuForce Icon HDP would probably best fit my needs and budget, and it has been highly recommended by many members. Another option is the Audio-GD Fun, which also has been highly recommended, and I do like, but am a also a little unfamiliar and nervous of, the idea of using the optional amps.

I haven't been able to get as much information for the matching of the HDP with the AKGs, however, and there's also not as much on the Fun with the AKGs. For the AKGs, I've been finding a lot of posts recommending the Matrix M-Stage, and that would probably be the route I go with if I were to just get the AKGs. That leaves me with the question of which DAC would work well with the M-Stage and remain within budget.

TL;DR?

Best combo?

1) HDP for HD650 and AKG K701/2
2. Audio GD-Fun for HD 650 and AKG K701/2
3. Matrix M-Stage + DAC (not sure) for HD650 and AKG 701/2

This is purely based on what I've read thus far, and if you have other viable suggestions, please post. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back