Best closed over-the-ears for $300-$400?
Mar 3, 2014 at 7:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

realityinabox

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a set of over-the-ears for $300-400.  They need to be closed (going to be used in a quiet office environment), and they need to be comfy.  I have a larger than average head, and ears that are annoyingly sensitive to pressure.  

I have been looking at the Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs, but am open to suggestions.  

Mar 3, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #2 of 8
Hello,

The MD requires plenty of amping. May I know what genre of music do you listen to and what player are you planning to pair it with? If you like the MD I believe you prefer some bass presence?

Billson :)

Mar 3, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #3 of 8
 I listen to  music from acoustic, folky, bluegrassy stuff to electronic, ambient, sort of poppy stuff.  I like stuff with a lot of dynamic range and rhythms, but not stuff with over-powering bass (no dubstep, Daft Punk is too pounding for me, etc).  Some of the stuff I have been listening to a lot lately is Punch Brothers (anything by Chris Thile), Radical Face, The Civil Wars, The Head and the Heart, The Goat Rodeo Sessions (the more acoustic end) to Dawn of Midi, Electric President, The Shins, Cloud Cult, Vampire Weekend, Explosions in the Sky, etc.

I like solid bass, but not over-powering.  It should be balanced, not pounding, but present

Mar 3, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #4 of 8
   I listen to  music from acoustic, folky, bluegrassy stuff to electronic, ambient, sort of poppy stuff.  I like stuff with a lot of dynamic range and rhythms, but not stuff with over-powering bass [...] I like solid bass, but not over-powering.  It should be balanced, not pounding, but present.

You should very much consider ZMF v1 (http://www.zmfheadphones.com/). It excels with acoustic and can handle much else. The bass sounds just what you want. Much better than MD for these genres (and overall a more interesting soundmix).

Mar 3, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #5 of 8
 I listen to  music from acoustic, folky, bluegrassy stuff to electronic, ambient, sort of poppy stuff.  I like stuff with a lot of dynamic range and rhythms, but not stuff with over-powering bass (no dubstep, Daft Punk is too pounding for me, etc).  Some of the stuff I have been listening to a lot lately is Punch Brothers (anything by Chris Thile), Radical Face, The Civil Wars, The Head and the Heart, The Goat Rodeo Sessions (the more acoustic end) to Dawn of Midi, Electric President, The Shins, Cloud Cult, Vampire Weekend, Explosions in the Sky, etc.

I like solid bass, but not over-powering.  It should be balanced, not pounding, but present

Do you have an amp?

Look into the B&O H6, K550

Hope it helps,
Billson :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back