Best CHEAP, HDCD+CD+SACD player
Feb 24, 2003 at 10:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Uncledan

Headphoneus Supremus
I think it is time to give up my sound card as my main source and go for a higher level sound. Since I am still a student, I don't have lots of money for a great CDplayer. So any suggestion of player can play HDCD+CD+SACD?? Of course, it must be cheap and sound good.

Feb 25, 2003 at 1:54 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by JPWeight
To my knowledge, there isn't a player that will play HDCD + SACD. If there is a player that does this, it isn't cheap.

Yeah, I haven't seen one also.

Uncledan, what's your definition of cheap?
You can't get squat for under $100.
$400 will get you the 963a which is killer.

For around $200 you can only get a low end Sony for SACD.

Feb 25, 2003 at 2:05 AM Post #5 of 12
sorry, there will be not HDCD + SACD player, since i am a newbie on source. If I am willing to pay around $300, any good used player I can get?

Would you give me some player model, so I can check them from the internet.

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2003 at 3:53 PM Post #6 of 12
An inexpensive SACD model with positive reviews would be the Sony NS500V.
A quick search here should give you plenty of reading material.
It is no longer in production so you might run across a used model for very little money.

Good luck.

Edit:
You can try your luck in finding a new model by searching here.

Call some places to see if you can find a new one first.
Remember this is a single disk model.
Sony has a multi changer out now with a similar number that is not the same one.

smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2003 at 5:06 PM Post #7 of 12
Might want to look at the NAD c521i as well, you can get it new for $260 i think from www.holmaudio.com and www.yawaaudio.com sells it new for $300 and refurdb for $220. If you could spring the extra $80 for the NAD c541i youd be doing yourself a big favor though, plus you get the hdcd which you said you wanted.

Your best bet is:

a) The New Phillips 963
OR
b) The Nad c541i

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Feb 25, 2003 at 6:22 PM Post #8 of 12
Thanks for all information!! I am wondering which source format is more popular: HDCD or SACD? Since I am new to CD player stuff, so comes a stupid question.

I want to spend around $300-350, and I don't care to get used CD player, any suggestion?

p,.s: I tried to buy The Nad c541i refurdb from www.yawaaudio.com, but they don't ship to Toronto, Canada.
frown.gif
frown.gif

Feb 25, 2003 at 9:34 PM Post #11 of 12
Why buy this? The Lindemann D-680 plays SACD and HDCD. Yours for only US$8,999.

When you could by both a Philips DVD963SA & NAD 541 for less than a grand. You'd have everything except DVD-A with these two units.

There is no way the D-680 sounds 9 times better. Talk about the point of diminishing returns.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 25, 2003 at 10:19 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

I am wondering which source format is more popular: HDCD or SACD?

HDCD has been around for years, and there are more HDCDs floating around currently than SACDs/DVD-As. HDCD is more of a "hack" solution tacked on Redbook CDs to help give them more resolution, without fundamentally altering the underlying digital technology of the CD and making regular CD players obsolete. (In fact, I have read that some argue that the HDCD filter itself is not optimum for playback of regular CDs, introducing noise or artifacts of some kind, but that's way "inside baseball" and probably not that important.). HDCD is now owned by Microsoft, but what they plan to do with it is anyone's guess. Is there a future for HDCD now that we have SACD/DVD-A? Don't know...

Real high-bit-rate, high sample rate audio is encompassed within SACD and DVD-A, two much newer formats that also require special players to play them back at full-resolution.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back