Best Cables at the Big Boxes?
Oct 19, 2003 at 7:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Mark of Cenla

New Head-Fier
What are the best cables available at Circuit City or Best Buy? I need to upgrade all my cables. Are Monster Cables any good? Peace and thanks.

Oct 19, 2003 at 7:29 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Iron_Dreamer
I've never tried any monster calbes, but I did find that Radio Shack's Fusion cables are a nice improvement over stock generics.

ditto

Oct 19, 2003 at 11:44 PM Post #4 of 11
Sam Tellig at Stereophile likes the Acoustic Research HT-130s which can be had for about $20.

That said, I also recommend the Radio Shack Fusions -- good value, superior to Monsters twice the cost, imo.

--Chris

Oct 26, 2003 at 8:39 PM Post #5 of 11
Thanks for the responses!

The local Radio Shack did not have the Fusion interconnects. The Best Buy website has some cables by Acoustic Research, but there is no "HT-130". Are the cables they have about the same?

I am just looking for an upgrade from stock cables to go from my CD player to my preamp and from my preamp to the power amp. I am willing to spend $40-$50 per cable. I can solder but do not much feel like making my own.

I am going shopping soon in Lafayette, LA, where there is a Ciruit City, a Best Buy, and a local hi-fi shop that I have never been to. If there is a better cable than the Radio Shack Fusions or the Acoustic Research cables at Best Buy that is $50 or cheaper, what is it, and where can I get it? Thanks.

Oct 26, 2003 at 9:49 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Mark of Cenla
The local Radio Shack did not have the Fusion interconnects.

Really? It's like their primary product now. They'll order 'em for you if you ask.

If you don't mind shopping over the Internet, www.heartlandcables.com makes some fine ICs in the less-than-$50 range.

If all else fails, any nice pair of Acoustic Research or Monster ICs would work. They are not the most neutral cables around, but most of them are made with audiophile-grade materials like 99% pure, oxygen-free copper and gold-plated connectors.

--Chris

Oct 26, 2003 at 9:54 PM Post #7 of 11
I would hold off on the monster and AR cables if you have 50.00 a pr. to spend. I would either shop on audiogon or here for good used cables and get something to hold you well into the future. Lots of times on audiogon you can find a seller getting rid of several pr. of the same cables for as much as half off original price thats upgrading.

Oct 27, 2003 at 2:18 AM Post #8 of 11
I've heard that the AR HT-130 has been discontinued, especially now that Acoustic Research went belly up. Although AR Accessories (not sure about AR loudspeakers) was eventually acquired by Gemini Industries (I think), who knows how AR cables will be positioned once everything is sorted out.

AR Master series cables are available at Sears. Since neither Sears nor its salespeople know anything about cables, I've seen these heavily discounted. AR Master cables are AR's top of the line cables; very serious stuff. For something like a 2 meter length of AR Master analog interconnects, I've see it way less than $50.00 at my local Sears. Check it out if you can.

Anyone tried Tributeries cables??

Oct 27, 2003 at 6:31 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by soundboy
AR Master series cables are available at Sears. Since neither Sears nor its salespeople know anything about cables, I've seen these heavily discounted. AR Master cables are AR's top of the line cables; very serious stuff. For something like a 2 meter length of AR Master analog interconnects, I've see it way less than $50.00 at my local Sears. Check it out if you can.

Thanks for that tip!

--Chris

Oct 28, 2003 at 5:38 PM Post #10 of 11
No problem, hempcamp....this is how they look like

l_ms231.jpg

Except for those nice RCA plugs, kind of look like the Radio Shack Fusion IC, huh?

Oct 28, 2003 at 6:47 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by hempcamp

If you don't mind shopping over the Internet, www.heartlandcables.com makes some fine ICs in the less-than-$50 range.

Thanks for the heads up about Heartland Cables. That's what I am going to go with. I am on break at work now, but I will order them when I get home.
biggrin.gif
Peace.
__________________________________________________ __

When I got home I ordered three audio interconnects ($30 each) and one video interconnect ($45). These will be for the CD player to the preamp, preamp to the power amp, DVD player to the TV, and TV audio to the preamp.

Thanks again to everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back