"Best" audio player for Windows - ??
May 5, 2004 at 4:19 PM Post #31 of 41
Some good information about foobar here! Thanks everyone. I actually downloaded foobar last night but didn't have a chance to check it out. I'll do so tonight. Is the "special" version better than (??) the regular version? I think I just downloaded the regular 8.1 version.

Also, thanks for your installation instruction link, Zemo.

May 5, 2004 at 8:31 PM Post #32 of 41
All the special version has done is take pretty much every plugin and extra for Foobar and add it into the installation. And BTW, it's 0.8.1, not 8.1. Most homebrew software doesn't made wild claims like M$ and game makers do; what with releasing software that can barely be called Beta as 1.0 products...

Permonic, just downloaded columns_ui, and got it running. It's not a pretty black color, nor is it as cool as yours, but it's very nice. I forward to reading your upcoming thread on the subject.

(-:Stephonovich:)

May 5, 2004 at 9:07 PM Post #33 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich
Permonic, just downloaded columns_ui, and got it running. It's not a pretty black color, nor is it as cool as yours, but it's very nice. I forward to reading your upcoming thread on the subject.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Well, here we go: http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=71633

May 5, 2004 at 10:41 PM Post #34 of 41
You know, if OakIris is going to listen to nothing more than retail (redbook) CDs on his compy, why not stick with the CD Player? Small, barely takes up any resource, and the sound quality will be about the same as from Music Match. Sure, there's no CDDB lookups (not sure), no skins, no EQ, etc. But it does what it does, plays CD, and does it fairly well.

Fits the requirements.

May 6, 2004 at 2:42 AM Post #35 of 41
Hi Damage - it's easy to make that assumption here, but I am female, not male.
tongue.gif

Anyway, I think I am going to go for foobar simply because I am determined at some point to do more with my PC audio equipment than just listen to CDs. I have read a lot of recommendations about this audio player, both here and at amdmb, etc., so it is time for me to changeto foobar. (Thanks for the correction Stephonovich - v. 0.8.1
redface.gif
)

Just received my EMU1212m soundcard today, too, and my CD3000s just shipped from Japan today, so I'm about ready to rock 'n roll.
3000smile.gif

May 6, 2004 at 3:53 PM Post #36 of 41
I'm new to Foobar, and I have just downloaded Foobar 2000 version 0.8.1.

I'd be gratefull if someone could please give me a link for the ASIO plug-in that I've been reading about, I can't seem to find it on Foobar's site, or anywhere else.

Best wishes,

Paul.

May 6, 2004 at 4:00 PM Post #37 of 41
Harty the ASIO plugin for foobar is here.

http://www3.cypress.ne.jp/otachan/foo_output_asio(dll).html

May 6, 2004 at 4:22 PM Post #38 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Harty the ASIO plugin for foobar is here.

http://www3.cypress.ne.jp/otachan/foo_output_asio(dll).html

Thanks Ian,

I've downloaded the correct version of ASIO, how do I correctly install it.?

Best wishes,

Paul.

May 6, 2004 at 4:28 PM Post #39 of 41
Use the DLL which matches your CPUs feature set and put it into the foobar components folder.

P3 / AMD athlon = SSE
P4 = SSE2

May 6, 2004 at 4:32 PM Post #40 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Use the DLL which matches your CPUs feature set and put it into the foobar components folder.

P3 / AMD athlon = SSE
P4 = SSE2

Thanks Ian Mate.

Best wishes,

Paul.

May 6, 2004 at 7:33 PM Post #41 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by OakIris
Hi Damage - it's easy to make that assumption here, but I am female, not male.
tongue.gif

Anyway, I think I am going to go for foobar simply because I am determined at some point to do more with my PC audio equipment than just listen to CDs. I have read a lot of recommendations about this audio player, both here and at amdmb, etc., so it is time for me to changeto foobar. (Thanks for the correction Stephonovich - v. 0.8.1
redface.gif
)

Just received my EMU1212m soundcard today, too, and my CD3000s just shipped from Japan today, so I'm about ready to rock 'n roll.
3000smile.gif

I never assume one's sexuality over the internet, especially on a forum, so everyone, be it male or female, gets the generic he tag--though since I'm assuming neither, I'd be more correct in using "it" tag..
biggrin.gif

As for foobar, I've nothing against it, nor anything for it, since I don't use it much (though I did download it and use it from time to time). Personally, I'm perfectly happy with Winamp when I need to play any sort of compressed audio on my rig. I don't do it much often anymore these days (I use my PCDP or MDP these days more so, so it requires me to battle with Sonic Stage more so than Winamp or Foobar) so I find that Winamp does the job simply and effectively. Or, every once in a while, I use Sonique over Winamp, because the former looks a tad bit more snazzy vs. the latter.

Have fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back