best audio playback for laptop???
Aug 1, 2003 at 5:47 PM Post #32 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by yfei
Seems Audiophile USB's opamp also can not be bypassed.

Excuse my ignorance here, but does that mean the signal can't be bypassed to an external DAC (say ART DI/O)?

Aug 1, 2003 at 6:34 PM Post #33 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
Excuse my ignorance here, but does that mean the signal can't be bypassed to an external DAC (say ART DI/O)?

Opamps are used in the analogue section. The signal going out the digital out is separate from them.

Aug 1, 2003 at 6:45 PM Post #34 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
Opamps are used in the analogue section. The signal going out the digital out is separate from them.

Thanks Ian. So digital in/digital out shouldn't do any conversation if I choose to go that route? And basically in that scenario, the Audiophile USB would be something akin to just a USB to S/PDIF adapter?

Aug 1, 2003 at 7:00 PM Post #35 of 43
What do you mean by digital in/out conversation?

If you are just wanting to send a digital signal out the computer, this would work fine. All those other connections and knobs, etc. will be unused.

Aug 1, 2003 at 7:29 PM Post #36 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
What do you mean by digital in/out conversation?

If you are just wanting to send a digital signal out the computer, this would work fine. All those other connections and knobs, etc. will be unused.

Okay thanks again Ian. I just meant digital in (USB)/digital out (S/PDIF) should pass through the signal without any manipulation/conversion, so it would be clean going to the external DAC. Sorry for the ignorance in terminology.

Aug 1, 2003 at 10:34 PM Post #37 of 43
Yeah it will pass perfectly. If you're using Win2K/XP just be sure to use ASIO output.

When you said digital in I thought you were referring to audio not computer stuff.
tongue.gif

Aug 2, 2003 at 2:30 AM Post #38 of 43
i wonder if an upgraded ART DI/O will be better then any of these cards.

Aug 4, 2003 at 3:47 PM Post #41 of 43
Yes an upgrade DI/O would beat these cards.

Using a cardbus -> PCI expansion system defeats the purpose of having the system mobile but if that was your only system them quite possibly could work.

I thought these expansion systems are expensive though? Might as well build a cheap PC?

Aug 4, 2003 at 7:57 PM Post #42 of 43
http://www.magma.com/

Got from a yahoo message board:

Hello,

Does anybody have an opinion whether it would be a good idea or bad
idea to put a Lynx Two card in a Magma PCI expansion chassis so I
could use it with my laptop?

I'm using Cubase SX on a Compaq Evo N800c (P4 1.8, 512 MB) running
Windows XP SP1.

Thanks for any responses,

Roberts Grava

Hello,

We have worked very closely with Magma to ensure this works. You must get
the PnP version of the latest driver from our web site (mail me direct and
I'll give you instructions). I use it here and it works just fine.

Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
Lynx Studio Technology, Inc.
www.lynxstudio.com

For more info go to www.magma.com
They have tested it and its compatible with both the RME Digi96/8 and the LynxTWO.

Aug 4, 2003 at 8:42 PM Post #43 of 43
damn...slick units,

too bad they are bloody expensive...especially if you take into account the cost of a lynxtwo or cardeluxe. would be a whole lot easier if the indigo had a direct line out or the opamp could be bypassed.

Yeah, I used to have a desktop but I would like a laptop just for the size issue when i'm moving back and forth for school; I remember watching a guy pack up his laptop by folding down the screen and putting it into his packsack...after I finished packing up my 19" and mid tower. Since then I've been pretty much sold on one, especially since they've really picked up with the 3d accelerated display adapters as of late.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back