Best Amp 2023 up to $500?
Oct 23, 2023 at 11:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

LowBeat

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a powerful amp with good technical qualities up to $500. Which one can you recommend?

Im also interested about the new Schiit Midgard, but there is such one Review out there

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #2 of 13
I have a room full of top amplifiers like Topping A90 and my daily driver is a Sabaj A20H which you can get on Amazon for $70 currently. Tons of power, digital volume for perfect channel matching, and low output impedance for 10 ohm IEMs. Sabaj is a sister company of SMSL but most people don't know about them. It can handle a 5 volt DAC like the SMSL DL200 which is $189 for great performance and power.

Oct 23, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #4 of 13
Thank you very much, but with powerful i mean LCD4/HE6 Level. Im really suprised about the Sabaj A20H but im not sure if this fits my needs. could you explain what does the A20 equal or at least good in comparison of the A90?

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #5 of 13
Thank you very much, but with powerful i mean LCD4/HE6 Level. Im really suprised about the Sabaj A20H but im not sure if this fits my needs. could you explain what does the A20 equal or at least good in comparison of the A90?
I am in the same boat as you, and currently there is a drop discount going on for the Cayin iha-6 which in theory should move those headphones. I did place a pre order but then I canceled it because I read in the thread that some people are having severe noise issues in left or right channel. So I am also lost now.

Oct 23, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #6 of 13
The older Violectrics would be also an option? i would get an used HPA 200 Anniversary Edition for around 400$ would be this an good option? Its from 2014 so i dont know if its worth other an Singxer SA1 or Topping A90

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #9 of 13
I just read the review of the Midgard at Audio Science Review, and it seems to test out quite nicely and they added it to their recommended list. I personally own the Schiit Magnius, which is even more powerful and also a balanced design and costs slightly less at $200. I am not sure if they will keep selling the Magnius.

I originally bought the $600 Singxer SA-1 Class A amp, but it sounded terrible to me (highly veiled), so I bought the Magnius as a stop-gap until deciding what to do next. But I have had the Magnius for almost a year and it sounds incredibly good to me, especially if you have good quality recordings. The Magnius doesn't sugar coat anything, so if you have poor recordings it may seem too harsh for some people. But overall, even though I can afford to purchase a more expensive amp, I have no intention of switching it out for something else at the moment. I think that you can purchase some Schiit stuff on Amazon and not have to pay a restocking fee if you purchase directly from Schiit and return it, although it probably costs a little bit more on Amazon.
I listen to the Singxer SA1 with the Jumper Mod a while ago on a LCD X. It sounded quit nice to me because it has that warm Sound. It also can get loud. But like you say there are not a lot of clarity. But im also not a big fan of the Schiit products. The Ragnarok i had dosent sound that lively/realistic to me, also the sound was bit harsh. I think the A90D will be a very good amp

Oct 25, 2023 at 6:03 AM Post #11 of 13
Okay i have a descision. Ive got an used Topping A90D for under 400$
Good deal, I've had them before and another coming in tomorrow. Just keep the manual handy since there's a lot of options in the menu compared to most other amplifiers. There's a volume limiter and it auto detects when something is plugged into the different connectors to set volume, and presets for the remote. The SMSL DL200 is the most affordable 5 volt DAC for it at $189. The best DAC I've heard is the Gustard X16 though, it's a standout.

Oct 25, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #12 of 13
Audition the EF400 by Hifiman. It's currently $399 on the USA Hifiman store online. Try before you buy, because it's unusual sounding with its R2R built in DAC but those who love it really love it.

If you want to save some serious coin for about $200 you can get a Fiio K7 which is no slouch and has decent amounts of power and sounds very clean.

Oct 25, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #13 of 13
I listen to the Singxer SA1 with the Jumper Mod a while ago on a LCD X. It sounded quit nice to me because it has that warm Sound. It also can get loud. But like you say there are not a lot of clarity. But im also not a big fan of the Schiit products. The Ragnarok i had dosent sound that lively/realistic to me, also the sound was bit harsh. I think the A90D will be a very good amp
In what way would you say it lacked clarity? Was it fuzzy? Distorted? Mids recessed? Treble soft?

Very curious on your take.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back