Best AIO DAC/Headphone Amp combo unit under $1.5K?
Oct 14, 2023 at 12:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Andrew Rieger

500+ Head-Fier
I’ve been out of the headphone game for a few years. I’m looking to dramatically simplify my setup with a good all in one unit that focuses equal attention on the quality of the DAC and headphone amp.

I’m just curious what’s out there now under the $1.5K mark that can trade blows with a good stack like the Schiit Bifrost 2 and Jotenheim 2. I know that’s a tall order for a combo device but maybe there’s a unit I don’t know about that has pulled it off.

Thanks for the guidance.

Oct 14, 2023 at 12:49 AM Post #2 of 9
Dangerous Music Source and spend $500 on a better power supply.

Oct 14, 2023 at 8:09 AM Post #3 of 9
I’ve been out of the headphone game for a few years. I’m looking to dramatically simplify my setup with a good all in one unit that focuses equal attention on the quality of the DAC and headphone amp.

I’m just curious what’s out there now under the $1.5K mark that can trade blows with a good stack like the Schiit Bifrost 2 and Jotenheim 2. I know that’s a tall order for a combo device but maybe there’s a unit I don’t know about that has pulled it off.

Thanks for the guidance.
Don't own it but this seems to get rave reviews

RME ADI-2 DAC​

Oct 14, 2023 at 8:34 AM Post #4 of 9
The best value I've had is the Topping DX5 Lite (non MQA version of the regular, I've had both). If it's got enough power, the sound is flawless both on IEM's and headphones. The DX7 Pro has more power, but not better sound. Value for money is debatable depending on the headphones you need to drive. The SMSL M500 is another I have, it's sounds great and has enough power for the Hifiman HE6SE if you don't do a preamp reduction to equalize of more than -4db. I just wouldn't get the DX3 Pro+ if you plan on IEM's, the output impedance is too high and I've heard firsthand how it effects 10ohm IEM's and it's not for the better.
I'd grab the DX5 or DX5 Lite if Amazon has a sale, sound quality is fantastic and looks nice too.

Oct 14, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #5 of 9

Thanks for the guidance.

What is your headphone?

Oct 14, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #6 of 9
Don't own it but this seems to get rave reviews

RME ADI-2 DAC​

The RME is so close to being great but the headphone amp section is pretty subpar considering how expensive the unit is. Even the smaller Schiit amps beat it (when paired with a really good DAC). The RME amp suffers from the compression you get with op-amp based designs. The music is clear and detailed but it lacks weight, like the amp is straining even though it has the power to hit the desired volume.

The DAC section is excellent though. The built in EQ is also wonderful. It’s really too bad that the amp section is such an afterthought. You can tell it was designed by people who haven’t spent time listening to good Class A Discrete amps.

Oct 14, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #9 of 9
I owned the RME ADI-2 DAC FS, but I'm not a fan of op-amps. The parametric EQ is fantastic, but if that's not your primary use case and you don't need all the features, I'd skip the RME. To be honest, I switched to a separate class-A amp and DAC chain. If you don't have very demanding headphones (which I don't) or don't care about a balanced chain, the Chord Mojo 2 is a great alternative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back