Best 2.1 S/PDIF speaker setup for the 1212M?
Sep 7, 2004 at 8:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Rukes

New Head-Fier
Currently, I have the Creative SoundWorks Digital which is an old and basic speaker set, I think:

http://www.computerhq.com/hardware/p...-id-24817.html

It sounds pretty nice, however I am moving from NY to Cali soon, and I would rather just get a new set out in Cali instead of packing up these speakers and the giant sub and shipping it out.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a great quality 2.1 S/PDIF speaker setup? Preferably under $200, as I won't be using it that much, but I would love it to be great when I do.

Sep 7, 2004 at 2:32 PM Post #2 of 14
The emu1212m is a total waste on those speakers.

I would further invest in your headphone options, $200 will not go far in speakers.

Sep 7, 2004 at 3:28 PM Post #4 of 14
He wants speakers with digital spif inputs, the klipsch speakers don't quality.

I'm just not a fan of little cube speakers and a cheap sub for music, I would focus on making your headphone setup better, you will get more bang for your buck and that would be best for music enjoyment.

Sep 7, 2004 at 4:51 PM Post #5 of 14
My M-Audio BX8's sound awesome! but getting a pair will run you at least $400 (with tax).
biggrin.gif

Sep 7, 2004 at 5:19 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asmo
He wants speakers with digital spif inputs, the klipsch speakers don't quality.

I'm just not a fan of little cube speakers and a cheap sub for music, I would focus on making your headphone setup better, you will get more bang for your buck and that would be best for music enjoyment.

personally i do not believe speakers in the $200 range is gonna be of any difference whether using spdif or analog. the speakers itself aren't capable of delivering that level of SQ. of course thats what i believe, i may be wrong.

Sep 7, 2004 at 5:42 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ixeo
personally i do not believe speakers in the $200 range is gonna be of any difference whether using spdif or analog. the speakers itself aren't capable of delivering that level of SQ. of course thats what i believe, i may be wrong.

I don't think it is a matter of 'quality' but connectivity, he wants a spif to connect to his emu 1212m, not analoge connection.

But you are right, those cheap digital speakers are crap, and why buy the 1212m to simply bypass the DAC and send the audio to some cheap digital speakers?

Anyways, again, I think he wants something easy to connect to his emu 1212m.

Sep 7, 2004 at 7:20 PM Post #9 of 14
Just so everyone knows, I already have a great headphone setup, which is why I am not asking for help on that
smily_headphones1.gif
I just would like a good pair of S/PDIF speakers in case I want to play music for the room, or I would like other people to hear something.

Sep 7, 2004 at 10:00 PM Post #11 of 14
Mr.Radar is right. The dac in the 1212m is what's nice about it. If you use the spdif out, you won't be using the dac. Unless you have a better dac, you'd be better off using the analog output. If you have a headphone amp with tape outs or pass thru, you can send that signal to your speakers/amp.

Sep 7, 2004 at 11:42 PM Post #13 of 14
Sounds like you don't have a headphone amp. I would pick either headphones or speakers as a priority and get a half way decent setup on one or the other rather than try to go only part way on either.

Sep 8, 2004 at 4:35 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

I would pick either headphones or speakers as a priority and get a half way decent setup on one or the other rather than try to go only part way on either.

Rukes said he HAS a good headphone setup. Honestly, I can't see myself ditching speakers for headphones. It's nice to have both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back