Belle and Sebastian
Jul 15, 2001 at 3:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

gorgon_123

Proud to be a member
yellow...

anyone listen to Belle and Sebastian. Both my sisters are heavily into them and lately I've borrowed "Tigermilk" and "The Boy With the Arab Strap" - these are amazing albums.

I have discovered a great new band with Belle and Sebastian and was wondering if anyone can recommend other bands that sound in the same vein as them? They do strike me as unique, which is good, but I will eventually have all their albums and would like to pursue the wonderful "sound" they have further.

Hopefully someone can help me...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 15, 2001 at 3:37 AM Post #2 of 7
Good choice
smily_headphones1.gif

You should also check out their latest 'Fold Your Hands Child, You Walk Like A Peasant'
I've also just got hold of the 'Lazy Line Painter Jane' 3 EP set. The title song is up there with 'The Boy with the Arab Strap'. Unfortunately some of the other songs are truly awful.
crk
ps Yellow is on Coldplay's Parachutes which you should also borrow from your sisters.

Jul 15, 2001 at 4:05 AM Post #3 of 7
Gorgon123,
They are indeed a good band, but if you want to know who they're "ripping off" (inspired by) it's a guy by the name of Nick Drake. His 3 albums have all been rereleased in beautifully remastered editions. If B&S tickles your fancy, Nick Drake will blow your mind.

markl

Jul 15, 2001 at 12:06 PM Post #5 of 7
Kings Of Convenience sound a lot like B&S, IMO. They're an acoustic duo, guitars mostly, gently played drums, sometimes a cello, maybe a trumpet.

Jul 15, 2001 at 8:55 PM Post #6 of 7
Belle and Sebastian are a truly wonderful band! I suggest that you look out for a couple of their side projects, The Gentle Waves, and Looper. The first is a very laid-back affair with Isobel Campbell on vocals, and I think it's great, but it has split the B&S camp a bit. They've got a couple of albums out, I'd recommend Swansong for You. Looper are more electronic than B&S, and I'd suggest Up a Tree.
All B&S is available on vinyl! Woohoo!
biggrin.gif

HTH
Andrew

PS, I don't think that anyone as mentioned their other album If You're Feeling Sinister. It's well worth a listen, IMHO better than their latest one.
biggrin.gif

Jul 16, 2001 at 4:50 PM Post #7 of 7
Nick Drake, Kings of Covenience and the B&S side projects... excellent. I'll have a listen to all next time I'm in HMV (which should be later today).

Thanks ppl! Big help!

(the radio and tv be damned, this is the best way to discover new music)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back