Behringer MS-40 Review
Mar 29, 2012 at 7:04 AM Post #31 of 34

Quote:
I can and I did. It's like saying I can't compare a Grado headphone to the beyerdynamic DT48. Since price range is often one of the considerations when buying pretty much anything it makes sense to compare it to speakers which are similar in price. Thing is, the logitech speakers sound worse in pretty much every way. That and the MS-40 goesn't have a flat frequency response. No matter whether you use the treble and bass knobs or use some more refined way of EQing the or taking in to account for the room. They are simply flawed speakers for that purpose. You can get them reasonably close to flat without a doubt, but without such money constraints anyone would go for something else. You are allowed to disagree with my opinion on that of course.
Please don't link to ehow articles. That makes me miss the times when people linked to wiki. Here is a neat link to a measurement of the nautilus. Seems pretty flat to me. Maybe not as flat as your average studio monitor, but surely you can't argue that they were trying to add color.

Beyerdynamic DT48 are closed headphones and Most of Grado's are open air. It's about taste, but both of these can be used to tracking and monitoring. I like to myself monitor with closed back headphones. They share almost same purpose, but I don't know why one would want to compare these two since one of them is closed and one of them is open.

The eHow link tells you exactly what I'm trying to explain. If someone is looking for buying a decent pair of speakers for entertainment use, I wouldn't go for studio monitors. Instead, go for speakers.

Edit: Also, I checked our link out (I hope you'll do the same to my link). It's an article about freq correction in B&W Nautilus 801yes?
Nautilus 801 isn't a studio monitor. It's for entertainment purpose.

Also, when I'm talking about coloring the sound, I'm not  talking about boosting up any freqs in your audio. I'm talking about boosting specific freqs to make your audio sound warmer and "colorful". (I can search this up for you)

Stuido monitors have their EQ yes. This is because human ears hear different freqs in different volumes. (For example: Human ear is much more sensitive to freqs @ 3-4kHz, because it's the average human-voice area.) EQ is used to correct these parts.

"The purpose of speakers is to provide listening enjoyment in music's finished state. The purpose of studio monitors is to provide a "clean drawing board" for the creation and building of music mixes, on its way to a finished state."

and

"Speakers are designed to project sound evenly throughout the room. Studio monitors are designed to project sound a very short distance to prevent the room from coloring or enhancing frequencies."

These are the things I want to make clear.

Edit2: Cleared something about Grado, my mistake
 ​

Aug 5, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #34 of 34
Have you guys ever tried the Hercules XPS 2.0 80? Seems to be a good alternative to these Behringers at the same price. Silk Dome tweeters. Not sure if the Behringers are silk dome. Plus they look AWESOME.

But those are not Studio Monitors, but DJ Monitors, so most likely to enjoy music, like Hi-Fi speakers. Reviews says they sound way above their price range. I'm going to get them soon for my bedroom. Pretty inexpensive for the sound quality they seem to provide, awesome looks, EQ from the speakers (bass & treble knobs), Hercules build quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back