Beginner Request for Help, Feedbacks, and Set Up
Jun 15, 2014 at 3:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

SupremeNoobist

New Head-Fier
Hello Head Fi Community,

I recently decided to get into the hobby of finding and listening to quality music. My decision to become less ignorant in such matters has driven me to buy a few components to add onto my computer. The intentions were to listen to some music using quality headphones and experience the difference in music sound quality compared to what an "average person" would've used and take a small step into the world of audiophile.

As such, I have bought two products within my small budget (Simply put, I'm Broke) that will hopefully give me an entirely new experience

- AKG Q701: I've read a couple of reviews and threads about these and it's overall positive. Never used Open-Back headphones before and would like the opportunity to discover the beauty of music with large soundstage system. The design looks beautiful which is also a plus and some says Q701 have slightly more of a punch but nearly identical to the K701 and K702- not to mention it's only 199.99 for it right now.

- HT Omega Claro Halo: I was reccommended this by a friend who is a bit more knowledgeable than I am. While doing some research, this is said to be a solid safe buy for a soundcard with a built in amp.

Other than equipment, I am also aware that the quality of the file of music also matter (IE. 198kbps,256kbps,320kbps,Flac).
For I am very new to this and would also appreciate some help and feedback, there are also a couple of questions I'd like to ask.

1. Is there a way to test and identify the kbps of my music file?

2. HT Omega site advise not to turn on high settings for low impedance headphones "32 ohms and below" so does that mean only 32 ohms and below is considered low impedance? AKG Q702 is 62 ohms but such feels low impedance to me as there are headphones with couple hundred ohms and the soundcard can support up to 600 ohms which is really high up there. I wanted assurance from a community much more knowledgeable in this matter.

3. I recently read a post about the range of difficulty in driving headphones is not solely based on ohms but also db sensitivity. As my name says, I'm a noob and did not understand the terms and the overall details of the post but it seemed to be something important. I would very much appreciate it if someone could clarify it a bit for me and what I should be doing on the set up to get the best experience out of the things I bought.

Thank you for your time~

Jun 15, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #2 of 9

Not sure what player you're using, but both WinAmp and Foobar show the bitrate for tracks. Kbps is shown by default in WinAmp and in Foobar, you can select a Bitrate column in your library viewer selection. The information is also available in the ID3 tags for an mp3 file, if you right-click the file and show details.

Jun 15, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #3 of 9
   - AKG Q701: I've read a couple of reviews and threads about these and it's overall positive. Never used Open-Back headphones before and would like the opportunity to discover the beauty of music with large soundstage system. The design looks beautiful which is also a plus and some says Q701 have slightly more of a punch but nearly identical to the K701 and K702- not to mention it's only 199.99 for it right now.

- HT Omega Claro Halo: I was recommended this by a friend who is a bit more knowledgeable than I am. While doing some research, this is said to be a solid safe buy for a sound card with a built in amp.

Other than equipment, I am also aware that the quality of the file of music also matter (IE. 198kbps,256kbps,320kbps,Flac).
For I am very new to this and would also appreciate some help and feedback, there are also a couple of questions I'd like to ask.

2. HT Omega site advise not to turn on high settings for low impedance headphones "32 ohms and below" so does that mean only 32 ohms and below is considered low impedance? AKG Q702 is 62 ohms but such feels low impedance to me as there are headphones with couple hundred ohms and the sound card can support up to 600 ohms which is really high up there. I wanted assurance from a community much more knowledgeable in this matter.

3. I recently read a post about the range of difficulty in driving headphones is not solely based on ohms but also db sensitivity. As my name says, I'm a noob and did not understand the terms and the overall details of the post but it seemed to be something important. I would very much appreciate it if someone could clarify it a bit for me and what I should be doing on the set up to get the best experience out of the things I bought.

Thank you for your time~

The Asus Xonar Essence STX should offer the same features (that you might have need for) as the HT Omega Claro Halo.
Check for used Essence STXs on eBay.

I used the program Foobar2000 for playing audio files and it will list the kbps of the file.

The AKG K7XX series (Q701, K701, K702, etc) is consider fairly power hungry, for headphones that are listed as only 62-Ohm, so chances are you would just use a higher gain setting on the sound card, like "64 to 150-Ohm" or "64 to 300-Ohm".

Jun 15, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #4 of 9
Thank you guys, I appreciate the fast response from this community. The two items have actually been ordered already haha and sorry for being unclear. My intention to identifying the kbps is because of some files uploaded by others may be posted as 320 kbps but in reality, it is a 198 kbps under a large unnessary space of a 320kbps. I want to know the true audio file quality lol Does foobar do that?

Jun 15, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #5 of 9
  Thank you guys, I appreciate the fast response from this community. The two items have actually been ordered already haha and sorry for being unclear. My intention to identifying the kbps is because of some files uploaded by others may be posted as 320 kbps but in reality, it is a 198 kbps under a large unnessary space of a 320kbps. I want to know the true audio file quality lol Does foobar do that?

Not sure, try asking on the website.
http://www.foobar2000.org/

Jun 15, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #6 of 9

Yeah, you're right - mp3s are sometimes re-encoded to a higher bitrate. I'm not sure why people do this - perhaps under the misguided assumption that data lost through lower bitrate encoding will subsequently be regained through converting to a higher bitrate - why would they want to lie about the actual bitrate of a file? Anyway, Foobar won't perform this kind of 'lie detection' for you - I don't think any program can; you just have to suss it out by ear.

Jun 15, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #7 of 9

There is separate software available that can analyze the true bit-rate of a recorded digital file.  I can't remember, but maybe search in the Source Forum for "bit-rate" or something similar.  "Spectro" is one such software (freeware) that will do it.  There are others.

Jun 17, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #8 of 9
Oh thank you, I will look into the spectro and foobar 2000 player and see how it goes lol. For the db sensitivity and ohms, does simply adjusting the soundcard/amp settings to what's closest to the headset impedance generally drive the headphone to its full potential, or is there other factor(s)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back