Beginner dac/amp: Fiio e10k vs. Schiit stack vs. <insert item here>
Mar 3, 2015 at 8:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Meistershank

New Head-Fier
Hey all, after extensive reading on the subject, I'm unable to make up my mind on what product(s) to purchase as my fist dac/amp.  I'm hoping some input from people that know what they're talking about (unlike myself) to help me commit.  I've been leaning towards the e10k or Schiit Magni/Modi, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Current headphones: Sennheiser HD 558, but I'd ideally want the option to upgrade to some better, higher impedance headphones in the future.  So, I don't want to go for anything too underpowered that's only targeted towards my current headphones.

Budget: Ideally under 200 USD for both units (or one unit if it's a dac/amp).

Form factor and portability is not necessary as I intend to use this with my desktop.

Finally, it would also be nice to find something within my budget that could also act as a dac for a decent set of passive or active speakers.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 3, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #3 of 7
I agree. The Schiit products are good. But I would suggest getting the original Modi, that is on sale for $79, and then the Magni Uber 2. Reason being is that the Uber has pre-amp outs for connecting your speakers so you can use the one volume control for your headphones and your speakers.

Mar 3, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #4 of 7
I'm really pining for the Schiit Magni 2 Uber right now, haha.  So, there's not too much of a discernible difference between the Modi and Modi 2?  Also, do you think it would be a good course of action to get the Magni 2 Uber right now and try to get the Modi off of the classifieds later?  As a student, every dollar counts right now and I'm trying to stay as close to the $200 mark as possible.

Mar 4, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #5 of 7
  I'm really pining for the Schiit Magni 2 Uber right now, haha.  So, there's not too much of a discernible difference between the Modi and Modi 2?  Also, do you think it would be a good course of action to get the Magni 2 Uber right now and try to get the Modi off of the classifieds later?  As a student, every dollar counts right now and I'm trying to stay as close to the $200 mark as possible.

I would say to get the FiiO E10K, sell off the HD558 and put all your audio budget for better headphones.
Maybe Philips Fidelio X! or Audio Technica ATH-AD900X.

To me a Schiit stack for HD588s is a little overkill.
I like my HD558s, but you really should be spending more for headphones, then the DAC/amp.

Mar 4, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #6 of 7
Get the Schiit stack. E10K won't be able to drive headphones that needs alot of juice. It's a good budget solution but if you have the money and know you will upgrade your headphones in the future I'd go for the Schiit.

Mar 5, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #7 of 7
Thanks for the advice, everyone.  I've pretty much narrowed it down between either the Magni 2 /uber and the Modi.  Given that I don't have speakers that would benefit from the Uber right now and probably won't in the foreseeable future, I'm wondering if the extra 50 dollars for the Uber is worth it.  I also use my headphones 90% of the time out of courtesy for my family.

Theoretically, If I were to get the Magni 2/Modi, I could swap the connection from my Modi to a speaker amp/passive speakers or active speakers themselves, right?  If there are no significant quality differences between the Uber and standard, I would like to get the standard to stay in my budget.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back