Beats Studio3
Jul 7, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #826 of 904
Was at Target buying groceries and of course had to make my usual stop at electronics. I was surprised to see that they replaced the Studio3 demo with the Decade Edition model, especially since my local store doesn’t sell that colorway... or any colorway other than white since they pulled the rest. That was also the most solid unit I’ve played with, I still do notice some minor manufacturing improvements such as the adjustment mechanism being more solid and actually clicking on every notch. Unfortunately the sound is exactly the same. Really not bad overall though.

Considering Target still prominently markets the Studio3 despite pulling most colorways I think a case can be made that it will lead their Black Friday collection later this year just as the PowerBeats 2 did in 2016 at $99 and the Studio Wireless at $149 in 2017. (Where the headphones previously sat is just a totally empty row.)

Also played around with the Sony XB headphone (too muddy/dark) and the Skullcandy Crusher since I’ve had a craving for some more basshead headphones, even if the Crusher is a toy. Never liked Skullcandy as a brand but I give them props for the Crusher wireless. It really is a decent package for the price for its intended market. (AAC/40 hours battery life/over-ear, etc.) Would honestly consider trying the Crusher as a gimmicky headphone since it regularly goes on-sale for $99-$149. They only have one song on the demo but I could tell it still has decent mids/treble. Not a bad price to pay for the tactile motor for the visceral unrealistic effect. Also Target’s “exclusive” Heyday $59.99 over-ear headphone’s were on demo and their build quality was better than I expected for the price range. Sound quality had no glaring faults from a 30-second demo of funnily enough “The Middle” which Target has heavily featured in its commercials. Not particularly great sound quality but serviceable for the price and the average consumer. Uneven bass presentation that surprisingly had elevated sub-bass, decent mids, and what seemed like a slightly veiled treble. Would consider in a pinch if I needed “cheap” headphones or as a gift.

In backwards order, thanks for the impressions on the Heyday 'phones -- noticed them at Target just last week, but no demos at this Target store I went to.

I'm assuming the $149 Studio Wireless on sale last year was the older model, not the Studio3? That's a great price! For that price, I'd consider it if it goes on sale again.

Jul 12, 2018 at 3:57 AM Post #827 of 904
I'm gonna return my Matte Black, which I got for $285, seeing as the largest cell phone provider is having a sale on the Decade Edition, down from $430 to $245.

Sound-wise they are far from the best, but they cover what I want for everyday commuter/office headphones, with very low leakage, great connection (iOS), great battery life and decent ANC.

Jul 12, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #828 of 904
I'm gonna return my Matte Black, which I got for $285, seeing as the largest cell phone provider is having a sale on the Decade Edition, down from $430 to $245.

Sound-wise they are far from the best, but they cover what I want for everyday commuter/office headphones, with very low leakage, great connection (iOS), great battery life and decent ANC.
The Matte Black and Red are both going for $213 right now on Amazon! For that price, I would say hands down, these are the overall best Wireless ANC headphones on the market. Insane value for these in my opinion, and made even better if you're in the Apple Eco System.

Jul 12, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #829 of 904
The Matte Black and Red are both going for $213 right now on Amazon! For that price, I would say hands down, these are the overall best Wireless ANC headphones on the market. Insane value for these in my opinion, and made even better if you're in the Apple Eco System.
I wish Amazon was available over here, but it isn’t. But I’m getting the Decade Edition 43% off, so I’m quite happy.

Jul 12, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #831 of 904
In backwards order, thanks for the impressions on the Heyday 'phones -- noticed them at Target just last week, but no demos at this Target store I went to.

I'm assuming the $149 Studio Wireless on sale last year was the older model, not the Studio3? That's a great price! For that price, I'd consider it if it goes on sale again.

You can definitely get better wired headphones for $59.99 but for wireless the build/sound quality seemed decent for the price as far as Heyday goes.

Yup, that was the Studio 2.0 model. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Studio3 at that price this year since it’s already down in the $200 range. Probably $199 advertised price with some sweeter deals available elsewhere.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #832 of 904

For $349, there are too many flaws to justify the price. At $200 it’s an entirely different story since it becomes a compelling option for Apple users wanting ANC, with sound quality that’s comparable to ~ $150 headphones with a more exciting tuning designed for an active lifestyle and a good-looking design with plasticy build quality that’s about par for the course for the price.

Jul 13, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #833 of 904
Re: Heyday headphones, I checked out the demo again since I usually find my way in the headphones section when I visit Target. I was surprised to find that they had about a dozen songs to demo, and the sound quality was better than I thought initially after spending a little more time with it. They may be more comfortable than the Solo3, with a less bass-heavy sound that has decent clarity in the mids and a punchy bass with a balanced sub-bass. For the $60 price I was certainly more impressed with the Heyday demo than the Studio3 demo. If they support AAC (the demo was wired) then I’d consider them a solid contender for the price. They look and mostly feel premium, but can easily tell it doesn’t have a truly premium build. Would actually be curious to see Rtings measure the Heyday headphones. They could be a solid value.

Jul 13, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #836 of 904
I suspect, they would sound very bad in comparison to even $15 Koss KSC75 clip-ons. :)

I think we all used to blissfully enjoy our low-end gear before we became “audiophiles.” I’m curious how bad my $29 Microsoft “premium” in-ear headphones would sound now.

Jul 26, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #837 of 904
Re: Heyday headphones, I checked out the demo again since I usually find my way in the headphones section when I visit Target. I was surprised to find that they had about a dozen songs to demo, and the sound quality was better than I thought initially after spending a little more time with it. They may be more comfortable than the Solo3, with a less bass-heavy sound that has decent clarity in the mids and a punchy bass with a balanced sub-bass. For the $60 price I was certainly more impressed with the Heyday demo than the Studio3 demo. If they support AAC (the demo was wired) then I’d consider them a solid contender for the price. They look and mostly feel premium, but can easily tell it doesn’t have a truly premium build. Would actually be curious to see Rtings measure the Heyday headphones. They could be a solid value.
Looks like the Heyday headphones are a re-brand of the AudioMX headphones. They are the same price and the internals may be a bit different (based on what options are available), but likely from the same ODM. The AudioMX disclose they have Qualcomm's CSR8645 chip, which has both aptX and AAC. Given they are the same price, I would likely pull the trigger on the AudioMX, unless of course I'm really impatient. :p

https://www.qualcomm.com/media/documents/files/csr8645-product-brief.pdf
upload_2018-7-26_15-50-13.png

https://www.amazon.com/AudioMX-Bluetooth-Headphones-Wireless-Microphone/dp/B0721MFBGG/
upload_2018-7-26_15-48-15.png

Jul 26, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #838 of 904
Looks like the Heyday headphones are a re-brand of the AudioMX headphones. They are the same price and the internals may be a bit different (based on what options are available), but likely from the same ODM. The AudioMX disclose they have Qualcomm's CSR8645 chip, which has both aptX and AAC. Given they are the same price, I would likely pull the trigger on the AudioMX, unless of course I'm really impatient. :p

https://www.qualcomm.com/media/documents/files/csr8645-product-brief.pdf

https://www.amazon.com/AudioMX-Bluetooth-Headphones-Wireless-Microphone/dp/B0721MFBGG/

Nice find. Target said they designed them in-house, so I am surprised they didn’t sign an exclusivity agreement with that company. They really are not bad wireless headphones for $59.99.

Jul 26, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #839 of 904
Nice find. Target said they designed them in-house, so I am surprised they didn’t sign an exclusivity agreement with that company. They really are not bad wireless headphones for $59.99.
Yeah, I think their definition is a bit of a stretch, since by "design" they likely meant they chose the options (e.g. real leather headband vs. cloth, CSR 8635 vs CSR 8645, 20 hour battery vs 23 hour battery). Shoot, we all "design" our own burgers at Burger King!

https://corporate.target.com/article/2018/06/heyday
This link is the corporate release regarding the Heyday brand. It looks like Target just simply teamed up with a Chinese ODM and created their own line with available options. I guess that wouldn't be an exciting press release, eh? Usually, ODMs have contracts that restrict certain design characteristics, so your contract may be for the "White Unicorn" pattern, while Company X has "Yellow Submarine" and "Blue Crustacean".

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #840 of 904
Speaking of Target, I really enjoy going there and always feel drawn by the Beats headphones. I've literally tested them there numerous times and always think to myself,
"Maybe today is the day the Studio3 sells me!" Well, I loved the look of the Shadow Gray and decided to give the Studio3 another shot, for the 7th time. I also re-purchased the Solo3 and A/B them, and I have to say, the Solo3 definitely sounds better, but the Studio is far more comfortable and a bit sexier. The Rtings measurements really translate well with what I'm hearing, even with the supposed updated EQ with the newest firmware version. IMO, they should have an option in iOS for the Studio3 and toggle between "Studio Classic" and "Studio Modern" EQs. I ended up returning the Studio3 and keeping the Solo3.

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/t...o3-wireless-vs-beats-studio3-wireless/413/533
upload_2018-7-27_9-30-40.png

upload_2018-7-27_9-31-15.png

upload_2018-7-27_9-32-4.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back