baz luhrmann: Something For Everybody
Jan 29, 2002 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

MacDEF

Headphone Hussy (will wear anything if it sounds good)
I've had this album for a few years but never mentioned it here. For those who don't know, Baz Luhrmann is the director of Strictly Ballroom, Romeo And Juliet, La Boheme, Midsummer Night's Dream, Haircut, Lake Lost, Moulin Rouge, and lots of other stuff (some movies, some plays, some opera).

"Something For Everybody" is a compilation of music from his works. It includes the now-famous "everybody's free to wear sunscreen" that was initially kind of neat but was overplayed to death. However, it also includes a very eclectic set of music from rock to vocals to opera to orchestral. There really is "something for everybody" here, and I think it's a spectacular album.

I haven't listened to the soundtrack from Moulin Rouge, but I have a couple of his full soundtracks and like them a lot, too (both Romeo And Juliet soundtracks are great).

Jan 29, 2002 at 11:01 PM Post #2 of 5
The name says it all - "Baz" is an unashamed populist and would sell his grandmother if he thought people wanted her. If you like your music out of context, if you're the kind of person that likes Reader's Digest abridged books, would rather buy the greatest hits than the albums, then this syrupy pap may just be for you. When I listened to it I felt that there was something missing... then I realized that I was expecting to hear advertisements between tracks. I won't even go into the moral dimension of taking someone else's work (or several other people in this case) and sticking your own name on it.

I felt fairly neutral about "Baz" until I had to sit through that album. The last time music irritated me so much it was a Johnny Mathis Christmas album played through a plastic record player with plastic speakers. Thank god Quindon Tarver has faded into oblivion - if you ever hear me say a musician is "burning the toast", think Quindon.

But if it makes you happy, may it continue to do so.

Jan 29, 2002 at 11:33 PM Post #3 of 5
Ouch! Tell us how you really feel, aeberbach
very_evil_smiley.gif

For what it's worth, I totally agree with you that this is a "greatest hits over individual albums" album, and all the pieces are taken out of context. I can see where your strong opinions against this album would come from. My recommendation stems from the fact that I own a few of his full soundtracks, and I found this to be a good "starter" CD for someone who doesn't want to take chances on full albums that are admittedly a bit "out there," especially since his soundtrack albums tend to be so dramatically different from one another.

I do agree with you about his packaging making the albums sound like the music is "his."

Jan 30, 2002 at 12:40 AM Post #4 of 5
I bought that CD a few years back, but I could never really make up my mind about it.. I lost interest in it very quickly, it's really a rather mixed bag of music...

Feb 2, 2002 at 2:10 AM Post #5 of 5
Baz humbug! All I can say is that after watching that piece of s$%^ movie "Moulin Rouge" that Mssr. Luhrmann should be banned from all public entertainment venues. How is that movie winning awards??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back