Bay Windows and Speaker Placement
Sep 23, 2010 at 2:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

KevDo

100+ Head-Fier
This may have been covered to death before but I have to ask again as my Google search powers have run dry.

I'm moving into another house next week and the main room is rectangular with a bay window on one of the short sides. It's a two channel set-up and I have to have the room oriented with the speakers against either of the short walls. The windows extend to about a foot above the floor. Would it be best to have the speakers at the window side or the solid flat wall (opposite side); and obviously I'm looking  for opinions on listening position, what effects would the bay window have behind the listening position etc etc.

Any ideas, info or help would be appreciated. I'll measure proper sizes as soon as I can, possibly even a Paint sketch.

Sep 24, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the info.

Yeah they're "box" speakers, Quad 22L's. The good thing is the bay window isn't particularly deep. I didn't know if it was best to compromise on the speaker positioning (solid back wall v's windows) or listening position (whether the window would "focus" the sound or reflect the sound too much, but i could have overcome that with curtains etc)

I'm used to using bass traps, first reflections absorbers, difusers etc so I will treat the room but would also like to start from the best possible orientation as well.

A lot of reading and experimenting will be on the cards in the coming few weeks/months. Problem is I have a HTPC and a projector so I've got to account for that - although as you say, speakers at the bay window would be ideal with a pull down screen.

Oct 5, 2010 at 10:20 AM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

Yeah they're "box" speakers, Quad 22L's. The good thing is the bay window isn't particularly deep. I didn't know if it was best to compromise on the speaker positioning (solid back wall v's windows) or listening position (whether the window would "focus" the sound or reflect the sound too much, but i could have overcome that with curtains etc)

I'm used to using bass traps, first reflections absorbers, difusers etc so I will treat the room but would also like to start from the best possible orientation as well.

A lot of reading and experimenting will be on the cards in the coming few weeks/months. Problem is I have a HTPC and a projector so I've got to account for that - although as you say, speakers at the bay window would be ideal with a pull down screen.

Hi

If you have a dedicated room for these speakers then I thoroughly recommend doing a lot of work on the room with acoustic treatments.

For me the "bible" on this is Master Handbook of Acoustics by Alton F. Everest.

In addition at various places on the 'net you will find information on DIY room acoustic treatments. The Audio Asylum has a lot of posts and links about this.

The improvement in quality of reproduction with a well treated room is really very great indeed.

I treated two rooms in the past but unfortunately I cannot have a dedicated room any more as I have a smaller house now. In fact this is the main reason why I now use headphones for all attentive listening.

A very average replay system in a well treated room will, imho, sound far better than a "hi end" system in an untreated room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back