Basic Turntable Set Up - Help, please
Mar 13, 2007 at 1:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

BeckyLee

New Head-Fier
I was recently given two turntables and a mixer. I have an extremely limited understanding of the equipment I need to actually play music on these.

I understand that I need speakers and an amplifier - what else? How do I set it all up? Where do I even buy an amplifier? How do I choose one? I am in need of the most basic advice - I'm hoping someone here can walk me through it.

Do I need a phono stage? I have seen people mention them, but I don't even know what that is.

Here are the details of my equipment.

Turntables - 2 Technics Direct Drive SL 1200MK2
Mixer - Numark - DM1260X

I don't have speakers or a reciever or anything like that - the only thing I own for listening to music is a record player with built in speakers.

Mar 13, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #2 of 3
First, you really don't need two turntables (Keep the one that is in the best condition) and you don't really need the mixer too so you can sale these.

Now what you need to buy is a phono pre-amp, a receiver and headphones/speakers, maybe a new cartridge too.

I'll let the suggestions to others since I don't really know the products themselves.

Mar 13, 2007 at 1:29 PM Post #3 of 3
BeckyLee, Outlaw Audio (www.outlawaudio.com) makes a very good, affordable receiver with built in phono stage. That and a decent pair of speakers and you are up and running, provided your turtables came with cartridges that are OK. It would be best to replace the cartridge anyway - Todd the Vinyl Junkie can certainly help you select a cost effective cartridge for that Technics.

Setting up a new cartridge isn't super-hard, but it does require some knowledge. The basics are mounting the cartridge, which means getting the wires connected and getting it screwed down, and getting the counterbalance set up for the proper tracking force. There are more adjustments that are helpful, but those are the very basics. There are lots of good how-to guides for that on the 'net.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back