Bare bones recording - For Radio show
Sep 27, 2004 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Vault

100+ Head-Fier
I want to begin contributing to a community radio station and wanted to use my PC as the source for recording a pre-recorded session. I'll then burn the session onto CD and send the CD into the radio station.

What I would like to do is:
- Have the ability to record directly to CD
- Capture MP3's being played on my PC directly, rather than out of my speakers and then recorded by a microphone.
- I'm using a PC and not a Mac (though would consider buying one if the above was too hard)

Anyone have any experience in doing this kind of thing? Any advice would be greatly appreciaited!
orphsmile.gif

Sep 27, 2004 at 4:45 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffL
I see what you want to do, but what exactly are you trying to do? Make a mix CD?

Basically, it would be a combination of spoken voice and MP3's. The end result would be a recorded session that would sound like a regular radio browadcast with the DJ speaking and playing songs.

Sep 27, 2004 at 9:53 PM Post #5 of 8
Mr. Radar is right, I think, unless your PC is specialized for PC recording, which is pretty much dedicated anyway. On the other hand, for pretty much any PC solution you can record directly from what your computer is playing; you just need to set the input to mixer.

Sep 28, 2004 at 12:25 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
I don't think there are any PC solutions that record audio directly to a CD-R/W. You have to get a dedicated recorder for that functionality.

Yes, these programs do exist, obviously, digital recording is very hot lately, especially in pro-audio. That's why there are so many digitally remastered albums coming from tape and vinyl masters.

You can record in realtime to a CD-R. This is 1x. The problem is finding a program that will do this. I'm not sure of any that do, but I *do* know they exist.

Worst case scenario, record to wave file and burn it later.

Quote:

Basically, it would be a combination of spoken voice and MP3's. The end result would be a recorded session that would sound like a regular radio browadcast with the DJ speaking and playing songs.

You could do this with an EMU 404. Use Foobar /w ASIO plugin into the Patchmix DSP, and use one of the PCI line ins to connect up a mic preamplifier and a mic. Then using a recording program such as Cubasis (which is included), you can record the session to a wave file using an ASIO send. This would give you very professional quality, if done right, and Patchmix DSP would let you do effects and crossfades, etc.

Sep 28, 2004 at 12:45 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffL
Yes, these programs do exist, obviously, digital recording is very hot lately, especially in pro-audio. That's why there are so many digitally remastered albums coming from tape and vinyl masters.

You can record in realtime to a CD-R. This is 1x. The problem is finding a program that will do this. I'm not sure of any that do, but I *do* know they exist.

Worst case scenario, record to wave file and burn it later.

For PC, i've never heard of a program that allowed this. However, there are CD-based standalone recorders that record in real-time. I wouldn't go with one due to the fact that if you accidently bump into your pc, forget it. Stick to recording to wav first or hell, buy a nomad jukebox3 and be done with it (if its a feasible option). At least, if you do record to your pc consider using a backup recorder if you are very serious about this.

Sep 28, 2004 at 1:04 AM Post #8 of 8
Thanks everyone for the great advice.
To be honest I didn't even think of the Jukebox option (I'm sure iRiver would do this also). So I guess it's back to doing some more research.

Thanks again!
rs1smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back