Balanced Headroom Max Amplifier Just Order
Sep 8, 2008 at 2:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Scottsmrnyc

500+ Head-Fier
ed. Would anyone like to comment about how they like this amp. I ordered it with all the other options. I am using it with a pair of Sennheiser HD 650s, I have to get the Balanced Cables though! I also have the HD600s and the HD580s.

I heard them Headfest 2007 and again at Camjam 2008. They sounded great and Headroom and Tyll never seem to have any negative press or complaints about customer service, so I went with it.

I also have two other amps on order or waiting list; these are for my Stax Pro Headphones. I am awaiting the SRM007ta and a long wait for the Blue Hawaii SE. I was going to spend some money on some McIntosh, Krell or Accuphase, but since I live in a 700 Sq Ft apt in Manhattan, I changed my mind and went better Headphone amps instead.

Enjoy and looking forward to The Balanced Max..

Scottsmrnyc

Sep 8, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #3 of 14
Hello,

Order Received & Currently In-Process -- Thanks, Scott!

smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

Sep 8, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #4 of 14
Hey Scottsmrnyc,
"ALL" I have is the micro set of Amp and DAC and i love the results with my HD 650s. Plenty of power and love for the 650s. I envy you quite a bit. Enjoy.

Sep 9, 2008 at 1:56 PM Post #6 of 14
Well thanks for the nice support. I have the HD 580s, HD 600s and the HD 650s. I have opted in for the Sennheiser Balanced Cables as apposed to the Cardas Balanced Cables. Does it make much of a difference?

I think I did order the Alps Brass RK 50s. I am going to check my order again to see.

Thanks Scottsmrnyc

Sep 9, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #7 of 14
I just called Headroom to tell them to add on The Alps Brass RK50 Attenuator. Could anyone tell me what this actually does as it doesn't say to much about it on the Headroom website. Scottsmryc.

Sep 9, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #8 of 14
Off topic, but nice guitar collection Scottsmrnyc. I usually have a hard time keeping up with "only" six strings. I have a worn Gibson Les Paul, and a Suhr Standard myself, which I love.
How did you like the Orpheus system?

Sep 9, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #10 of 14
I probably will upgrade to a better balanced cable another time.
Attention NOR SPOON- I don't have the Orpheus System. I have heard the Sennheiser Orpheus System twice; at the Headfest 2007 in San Jose, CA with the Sennheiser Tubed Amp and then again at Cam Jam 2008 in Ft. Lauderdale on a Blue Hawaii Amp. The Orpheus' sound great they put you closer to the music with a less spacial feel than the Stax Omega's 11s. The Stax Omega 11s are wider in sound and place you a little further away. For the Money, I like the Stax Omega 11s. Sennheiser Orpheus' with the Sennheiser Tubed Amp are going for almost double of there original cost, plus they only made 300 of them. I am totally a Stax Lover but with the new Headroom Max I am sure my HD 650s and HD 600 will sound incredible as well. I am a little less sure about my HD 580s though.
Well have a great day. Scottsmrnyc

Sep 15, 2008 at 7:21 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottsmrnyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ed. Would anyone like to comment about how they like this amp. I ordered it with all the other options. I am using it with a pair of Sennheiser HD 650s, I have to get the Balanced Cables though! I also have the HD600s and the HD580s.

I bought a Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp in January, 2007. I am still utterly and completely addicted to it. I have two young children, which put an end to loud, late night listening sessions with my main rig (Bryston/Wilson Audio Watt Puppy 7s). So, this was my compromise.

Only compromise is totally the wrong word!

I have the base model, without the DAC or the Alps Brass RK50 Pot. My source is a Slimdevices Transporter, connected by DiMarzio XLR Balanced Interconnects. I have a pair of AKG 701s rewired by Headroom with the Cardas balanced cable and also a pair of HD-650s with a 10' balanced Version 2 Silver Dragon Headphone cable.

I listen to FLAC files ripped with EAC -- about 95% classical music.

The amount of audio detail resolved by this combination is staggering -- you hear an unmediated presentation of everything the microphones picked up. I always say if I close my eyes I feel like I am sitting on the other side of the glass in a recording studio, listening to the live feed of performance by an orchestra, ensemble, soloist.

Usually this is great, but you also hear the unintended: conductors turning pages, piano benches creaking, bassoon keys clicking, and even trucks driving by outside the recording session (which made me jump out of my chair the first time I heard it -- I swore they were outside my window).

Some comments on DACs, headphones & configurations:

1) I love the Transporter's DAC -- it is the least grainy/digital and most natural DAC I have heard. I prefer it to both my old HR Max Desktop DAC (unbalanced, granted) and the DAC in my Bryston BP-26DA preamp. I don't know what the Slimdevice guys did, but they sure nailed this design. Also, the Transporter has a bunch of digital inputs (with word clock in!), so it can also be used as a standalone DAC, too.

2) On unbalanced amps, I prefer HD-650s to AKG 701s. But on balanced systems, my preferences are reversed, and I never listen to my balanced HD-650s. They just sound muddy. The AKG 701s sound much better balanced, and gain great, tight mid-bass (absent on unbalanced). Never heard a bass drum sound so good! In my quest for the best headphone I will one day try some balanced Grados and Ultrasones (maybe they will image better?)

3) I wished I gone with the Alps Brass RK50 Pot. There are often times when the stepped pot ends up on a notch that is either a little too loud or a little too quiet. You can get there eventually by playing around with the gain, but it's annoying. I will send the unit in for an upgrade at some point.

4) I find it strange that Headroom spent 2007 promoting their wonderful balanced headphone amps (Max & Desktop) and then in 2008 come out with an audio desktop that is unbalanced! Given that the Max Balanced Amp has preamp out I might build my own (perhaps with a pair of Channel Islands Audio D-100 monoblocks). Another possibility is a pair of Dynaudio Acoustics BM 6Mk II powered studio monitors.

Anyway, it's a wonderful piece of audio engineering that I'm sure you'll cherish for a long, long time.

Enjoy

Sep 18, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #14 of 14
Hey that was some review of The Headroom Balanced Max Amp. It all sounds so great to me and so new. Am I also allowed to add that I also bought two McIntosh MC 1.2KW Mono Block Amplifiers for me non headphone system. They are being built for me as we speak. What about using a surge protector or other protective device with the Headroom Balanced Max. What are its pros and cons. For the McIntosh amps I was told not to by the sales agent. Enjoy Scottsmrnyc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back