Baby steps - Grundig 4100 PCDP
Jan 27, 2003 at 4:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

plainsong

Headphoneus Supremus: Untie!
Heh heh - I've been stuck with using my mac to listen to tunes at the computer, except that the mac sound card has a really bad headphone-out, Which is why devices like the M-Audio Sonica and the Griffen iMic can be found at most Mac stores.
biggrin.gif

Well, I was thinking of picking up an iMic but of course it's twice as expensive here than the suggested retail price. So once again I was browsing PCDPs. Not much there at first until I saw a cheapy no-frills Grundig 4100 for 60 Euros. After a quick search here, I let out a "Yippee!" and placed an order. Hopefully it'll be here by the end of the week.

One more baby-step to better sound. Thanks Head-fi.
biggrin.gif

I'll report my findings when it gets here and I have a chance to listen, but according to what I've read here, it should be pretty good. We'll see.
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2003 at 8:29 AM Post #2 of 6
I hope you like it. The only quirk I've found so far, is that the signal to noise ratio isn't too great on this player - you might hear a faint pumping noise in very quiet passages. Apart from that, I'm very happy with the Grundig.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jan 28, 2003 at 4:52 PM Post #4 of 6
Lini - yeah, with these PCDP's, it's always _something_ isn't it? In a perfect world, I'd like a very small decent-sounding component cd player, but none seems to exist. Well that's ok, I don't have the money for one anyway.
biggrin.gif
I figure it's got to sound better than the Mac. I guess I'll find it later on this week.

Puppyslug - Yeah, it's got that all-important line-out.
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2003 at 4:26 PM Post #6 of 6
Yeah, I'd say this is a keeper. Grundig is kinda known as the "cheapey" brand here, but wow, this is a great find!
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit - Lini's right, about the slight noise in the quiet bits of music...but my 990s mask it well. The er6s showed it only when the music was practically silent, and even then it was nothing like the disstortion on my mac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back