B&O Beogram 3000
May 17, 2003 at 9:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

HanssoN

100+ Head-Fier
My parents, (I'm 18 and I still live at home), have a turntable from B&O called Beogram 3000... The only way for me to listen to it using my HD600s, is to use the headphone socket of an old Luxman reciever, but this HP-socket is unfortunately broken
frown.gif

There is an extremely disturbing hum, so I was wondering if I should buy a separate phono stage or just forget about it. Would it be worth spending roughly 300 dollars on a phono stage, or would I need a better turntable to take advantage of such a stage?

May 17, 2003 at 4:37 PM Post #2 of 7
Does the Luxman have a phonograph input? A knob serving seemingly no purpose would be nearby. This is where the turntable's ground wire (the black wire terminated in a "U"-shaped connector) should be attached, where it probably isn't currently, and why you're hearing a nice, strong hum.

NGF

May 17, 2003 at 5:34 PM Post #3 of 7
The previous posting is correct, turntables usually have ground wires that need to be connected to the amplifier or receiver chassis. Usually there is a ground screw attachment point on the back of the amplifier or receiver. When you have done that, then check the following:

On older audio gear, the power plugs are not polarized. It can make a noticable difference which way you have the plug in the outlet.

First determine the best orientation for the Luxman receiver plug by turning up the volume with no input on one of the high level inputs such as tape, then do the same with the input selected for phono. If you turn the volume way up with no input, you will probably hear some slight high frequency hissing, but also any AC line hum that is present. Note how high the volume is set when the hum becomes audible.

Next, turn down the volume, power off the unit and unplug it from the outlet and then flip the plug over and reinsert. Power up and again raise the volume to see if the hum is greater than before or is diminished at the same volume control setting.

When you have the plug oriented in the socket with the least audible hum, mark the plug so you know which is the hot and which is the neutral plug tip. The hot tip will be the one in the smaller of the two plug socket openings. Then, repeat this procedure for the turntable.

Getting the polarity of the plugs right can make a big difference in eliminating any hum you may hear.

If you after you try these remedies and you still have noticable hum coming from the Luxman, on low level (phono) as well as the high level inputs such as tape or auxilliary, your amplifier may have one or more leaky capacitors (electrically leaking not actually dripping some noxious liquid) in the power supply. This is a common problem in older gear and can be repaired.

May 17, 2003 at 8:53 PM Post #4 of 7
Originally posted by mkmelt:

"If you after you try these remedies and you still have noticable hum coming from the Luxman, on low level (phono) as well as the high level inputs such as tape or auxilliary, your amplifier may have one or more leaky capacitors (electrically leaking not actually dripping some noxious liquid) in the power supply. This is a common problem in older gear and can be repaired."

What would such a repair cost?

May 17, 2003 at 9:57 PM Post #5 of 7
It depends on where you have the repair done, but figure one or two hours of labor plus parts (parts cost should be minimal). $100 US would be my gross estimate.

May 17, 2003 at 11:07 PM Post #6 of 7
Thanks, I'll consider repairing it!

May 18, 2003 at 5:44 PM Post #7 of 7
I'd repair the Luxman for under $100 if it's in decent shape otherwise.

I doubt it's the caps. On good equipment like Luxman you don't usually find bad caps unless its from like pre-1960. But you never know.

If you only get the hum on the turntable and not other sources, odds are there's a grounding problem with the TT, not the Luxman. Even if the ground is hooked up. Could be the interconnect, the tonearm wiring, or the cart is shorted or just shot. All simple repairs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back