Ayreon - Into The Electric Castle ; a space opera
Jun 23, 2001 at 9:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Braver

Will upgrade headphoneswhen there's a MX600.
we were discussing this one in the "concept albums"-thread. well, I just got it, figured I should post someimpressions
smily_headphones1.gif

and what an impression it made! holy cow this is one great album!!

even people not interested in prog should check it out, seriously, cause it isn't as prog as The Beard for instance. Great mix of styles, some lighter stuff, lots of heavy bombastic metal parts.

atmosphere is the best ever. this "space oprea" is one hell of a journey. I won't go spoiling the plot, just buy it
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 23, 2001 at 1:37 PM Post #3 of 10
Nice to see you on here Braver
biggrin.gif

Glad to hear that you like Into the electric Castle it rocks!!! To be honest I'd forgotton what a great album it was!

It must have been a bit of a shock at first I remember putting this on and thinking what the...

Have you managed to get the Jabberwocky cd yet?

I'm happy as larry at the mo I have FINALLY got a copy of the IQ cd Seventh House that actually flippin works in my cd player. Apparantly there was a recognised fault in the production that caused all marantz players to jump and skip at the same point on the disc. Its an amazing album I'd make it your next purchase if you havnt already got it.

Cheers

David

Jun 24, 2001 at 12:19 AM Post #4 of 10
Braver, David,

That's it - you guys have definitely convinced me to check this album out! I also want to check out some stuff by UK.

Good to see you guys here, BTW.

Jun 24, 2001 at 8:41 AM Post #5 of 10
John

Let us know what you think of the album when you get it!

Like I said on HeadWize its just a shame more of this stuff doesnt get played on the daytime national stations as more people may get into this stuff instead of all the god awful boy/girl bands such as Westlife, Hear/say etc!!

Please note I am not having a go at anyone who actually LIKES this stuff (there must be some out there who keeps buying it???!) its just not my cup of tea and Im fed up of it being forced down our throats everytime I turn the flippin radio on ok?

Jun 24, 2001 at 8:44 AM Post #6 of 10
John

Let us know what you think of the album when you get it!

If you want to find out more about this sort of stuff the essential website to check out is the Dutch progressive Rock Page (its in english and theres more than a page to it!!!
smily_headphones1.gif
The address is www.dprp.vuurwerk.nl

Like I said on HeadWize its just a shame more of this stuff doesnt get played on the daytime national stations as more people may get into this stuff instead of all the god awful boy/girl bands such as Westlife, Hear/say etc!!

Please note I am not having a go at anyone who actually LIKES this stuff (there must be some out there who keeps buying it???!) its just not my cup of tea and Im fed up of it being forced down our throats everytime I turn the flippin radio on ok?

Jun 24, 2001 at 5:21 PM Post #7 of 10
hehe, actually checked if you guys were here before posting
smily_headphones1.gif

I´m definately checking out more styuff by Ayreon, but I´m not so sure about the Flight Of The Migrator discs where he put the lighter stuff on one and the harder stuff on the other. I like the mix of styles, but does it work seperated?

What amazes me most about The Electric Castle is how it stays interesting over the entire 100 minutes. IQ failed to grab me with Subterranea for the whole two discs, but Ayreon does it perfectly.

I ordered Jabberwocky at the same time as The Electric Castle, but it turned out to be a different album
rolleyes.gif
so I´m returning that one. I got it on order now, as well as The Masquerade Overture (sp?) by Pendragon, should be here next weekend. I´ll post impressions of both
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 25, 2001 at 2:36 AM Post #8 of 10
David, quick question (completely off topic) - I was browsing the latest issue of Hi-Fi Choice magazine in a local bookstore, and I saw a question from a reader named David Cotton. That wouldn't happen to be you, would it? I'm sure it's probably a coincidence, but still, it'd be cool if that was you.

The gist of the question (if I can remember) had to do with the importance of a system vs. music, and wasn't the music more important than the hardware employed to reproduce it, etc.

If that was you, I'm going to buy a copy and send it to you for an autograph - you're a celebrity!

Jun 25, 2001 at 5:40 PM Post #9 of 10
Stop it please you're making my head grow
smily_headphones1.gif
Yes I am the very same David Cotton (some would say unfortunately) and you may have seen Raymond Lins name in the same page he's on here too! So thats two celebritys you know!!!

They also used another one for this month on the whats happening on the web! Its the bit about peoples reactions to how much youve spent (roughly!!) on your kit as most of the people I work with think I'm nuts to spend that much on it!!!!

Jun 27, 2001 at 12:53 AM Post #10 of 10
David,

That's so cool! I'm definitely going to go buy the issue now. I'll just sign it myself, and tell everyone it's you and Raymond!

Yeah, I try not to tell my friends how much I've invested in my rig - they definitely would not understand (hell, sometimes I don't understand it!)
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back