Axpona 2022 - Impressions Thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 22, 2022 at 4:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2
We look forward to seeing everyone again and can’t wait to catch up and hear your thoughts on this year’s Ear Gear Expo! Also, be on the lookout for a few surprises at our table, including some exciting new upcoming releases! Our team will be at AXPONA 2022 this year alongside Kimber Kable at booths 8115 and 8117. We’re just ecstatic to have the chance to pair our exceptional amplifiers with their outstanding cables this year!

BHSE_blue_kimber.jpg
We will be running our HeadAmp Blue Hawaii Special Edition, alongside the RAAL-requisite VM-1a, while using the Bricasti Design M3h Direct Stream DAC as the source. Music will be available through both Qobuz or physical discs via a vintage Linn CD transport. We’d love to hear everyone’s thoughts on both the Audeze CRBN and the RAAL-requisite SR-1a on this amazing setup!

BHSE_blk.jpg
Next up, we have another Blue Hawaii Special Edition that will be running in parallel with our HeadAmp GS-X mk2. Both of these will be sourced from the Chord TT2 with direct stream over USB using the iFi Audio ZEN Stream. We recommend that you give the HIFIMAN Susvara and HE-R10P a listen on this outstanding stack. Plus, we’ve also got the Audeze LCD-5 & all new Abyss Diana TC.

Best of all, we’ve got a special BHSE this year to pair with the STAX SR-009S and STAX SR-L700 MK2. This particular model has been upgraded with the Alps RK50 step-less volume pot and also features a matched quad of Svetlana Winged C EL34 tubes. We’ll be running the Kimber Kable KS Select interconnects and their Ascent power cables with this system. This is a fully loaded Blue Hawaii Special Edition, decked out in all black, that you surely won’t want to miss out on hearing!

gsx_red_ax22.jpg
We will also have our HeadAmp GS-X Mini with the BorderPatrol tube DAC. This is an amazing combo that was well loved at NY CanJam. The NAIM Uniti Atom DAC is also being used in conjunction with the RAAL-requisite PDT-1a tube amp, which proves to be a superb pairing for the Sennheiser HD800S, the original Meze Empyrean, and the Meze Elite!

mg_iFi_gilLiteMk2.jpg
Finally, we’ll feature our HeadAmp Gilmore Lite MK2 with the Golden Reference Power Supply, powering a Focal Clear MG and a few other open-back headphones, all sourced from an iFi Audio ZEN DAC Signature. Streaming will be done through Qobuz bit-perfect via USB Audio Player Pro.

Last edited:
HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Apr 23, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #2 of 2
PSX_20220423_092819.jpg

So I managed to sneak in a little early this morning with the blessings of Meze and the AXPONA team to sit down and have a serious listen of this new open back from Meze, TLDR:

• Tonality sits in-between OG Empy and Elite
    • More thump in its low end than Elite with excellent extension
    • Upper-Mids and top end a little more forward than OG Empy but not as energetic as Elite
  • Sound-stage is a bit more intimate
    • While not quite as expansive as its older siblings it maintains the cohesion of both Elite and OG Empy
  • Detail isn't quite on par with OG Empy and Elite, tho it's not immediately apparent
  • Comfort and build quality is just as equiste
    • It's a little bit lighter and I LOVE the floating head-band!
Compared to LCD 2 Classic with OG Vegan Pads,
  • 2Classic Vegan has more slam while maintaining just as much texture and detail
  • Vocals on 109 are a bit more forward and present
  • 2Classic Vegan's presentation is noticeably more relaxed
  • Both share a nice tone and weight through the mid-range
  • 2Classic Vegan has a wider soundstage
  • Neither is more detailed than the other
I would say the sound-quality is comparable between them both, however build quality and comfort are where the 109 wins by a landslide. I would say owners of LCD 2 Classic using their new leather free suede pads won't really find 109 to be much of an upgrade. I would encourage anyone considering upgrading to LCD 2 Classic to wait a bit and consider the 109 instead once it's on the market. At this time the price is rumoured to be around 800 and frankly, as much as I love my 2Classic Vegan, I think the 109 will be the better buy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back