Axel Grell Interview - Sennheiser High End - Head-Fi TV
May 20, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #16 of 27
I'm looking to buy either the 600/650 or the 700/800 still not sure, but that amp looks really rather solid.

When I had the chance to listen to HD800 with some Orotofon headphone amp that they had in the store, it didn't drive them properly I had a listen to CD of Queen (Is this the real life? XD )

Do I need something more powerful than what I have current to power HD800, just for the sake of it, I have the Essence STX, it drives my AKG K271mk2 rather well... but that's 55 ohm and we're talking about 300 ohm, though HD600 was solid on that amp and it's also 300 ohm impedance... what goes?

Thanks

May 22, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #18 of 27
the HD800 isn't power hungry, the essence stx should be fine.

Though alot of people here will tell you otherwise, that you need expensive gear.
Don't buy into that hype.
Just make sure you actually like the sound signature of the HD800. So best do some more listening to them
before you buy.

May 22, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:
the HD800 isn't power hungry, the essence stx should be fine.

Though alot of people here will tell you otherwise, that you need expensive gear.
Don't buy into that hype.
Just make sure you actually like the sound signature of the HD800. So best do some more listening to them
before you buy.

Not power hungry per say, but hard to drive properly. Have a look at this graph of impedance vs. frequency, orthos are much easier loads on amps by nature, the HD800s, not so much. 
size]

May 22, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #20 of 27
Peter is right. They are picky with amps but the new HDVD800 does a great job with them. The other amps I like them with are the Decware CSP2,Taboo K11 and Mk111,V200.Stratus,Woo WA6 SE and the WA7 pus the Burson Soloist.  For budget amps the matrix drives them well.

May 23, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #23 of 27
Quote:
"hard to drive properly"

Can one play them loud easily? Sure, but play them well...that's another story. 

I guess that depends on what physical properties of the amp would allow it to play them "well." Most any amplifier designed with the intent to drive headphones won't have any problems with the 800's impedance. Apparently Sennheiser feels that the 800's are best driven from a highish source impedance. So I guess an amp with a much lower (or higher) output impedance may not drive them as "well." But "well" is a rather ambiguously squidgy term.

se

May 25, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #24 of 27
Quote:
Peter is right. They are picky with amps but the new HDVD800 does a great job with them. The other amps I like them with are the Decware CSP2,Taboo K11 and Mk111,V200.Stratus,Woo WA6 SE and the WA7 pus the Burson Soloist.  For budget amps the matrix drives them well.

i still can't decide whether the WA2 or WA6-SE is better for the HD 800, but i do like how they sound from both of them.

basically every woo amp does well with HD 800

Jun 6, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

i still can't decide whether the WA2 or WA6-SE is better for the HD 800, but i do like how they sound from both of them.

basically every woo amp does well with HD 800

I cant wait to hear them with the WA5 when it arrives. I have all my tubes lines up already. I scored some beautifulTungsol 6Sn7GT black paint form Parts Connexion and also have some 6C8G that I got new with adapters as well. I also have matched pair sof 3 different 5U5G rectifiers lined up. I will be using the EML 300B tubes. I am listening exclusively right now on the HDVD800 and very happy with the Sennheiser amp . 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back