DROP + GRELL OAE1
May 20, 2024 at 5:12 AM Post #676 of 885
Is they gonna be available in Europe, also are these really a budget combination of HD600+800s? The lovely sound of HD600 with the sub-bass extension and with big soundstage such as HD800s?
Free shipping to EU

May 20, 2024 at 6:20 AM Post #678 of 885
For me I don't care about a 360° sound after all as it's already been said, that's not the way we listen to music normally. For me I enjoy my Susvara, Ca1a and Ed5 because you can hear deep into your recordings yet they remain musical and engaging with precision imaging.
Totally. I even find listening to HP's without Xfeed disorientating and unnatural.

May 20, 2024 at 6:22 AM Post #679 of 885
From which site? from Drop shop? If yes, there will be taxes issues when ordering from USA to Europe right?
Usually yes but for some reason I didn't pay tax when I got my HD58X's. You could be lucky ...

May 20, 2024 at 12:05 PM Post #680 of 885
Yeah I never got this concept either. Makes no sense to me for music that is supposed to be like a band playing in front of you. But I can imagine interesting scenarios where it could be cool. Though I highly doubt this will work with just a stereo headphone and a stereo mix of music.
There are other uses for headphones than just music.
Oh, and @maegnificant , some people just totally prefer the intimate sound of headphone playback of plain regular stereo regardless, and I respect that. I just think it’s cool to have both options.
Precisely.
The FR even though has dips and peaks sounds normal (they go on to explain the similar things discussed in ASR)
The bass is a bit too high but Dekoni pads will be available which will reduce the bass a bit.
The soundstage is very good, but HD800S Hifiman Arya have better soundstage ( a big bummer, was not expecting this, but I personally think that reducing the excess bass will improve the soundstage somewhat )
I mean, it's a bummer...but also kinda expected considering these have a $400 MSRP versus those $1300-$1700 MSRP headphones. I didn't expect them to be equivalent; but their claim that it's the best of the $500 class still has me excited. And for what I paid...are those really $1000 better? We'll find out.
Unfortuantely, I cancelled my order. Heard the Hadenys and fell in love with it.

Can't justify the blind by for now. Will keep an eye on more reviews 1st.
Those look interesting! More expensive, but interesting! Will definitely check them out if I end up disliking these.

May 20, 2024 at 1:26 PM Post #681 of 885
Perception of soundstage is very personal. I'd absolutely expect some people to find the Arya's soundstage larger, and others to find the OAE1 larger. It's not some objective thing that's going to be consistent across the board and across different heads.

Resolve posted brief impressions on the Headphones.com forum and seemed to think it staged massively, despite having fit issues.

May 20, 2024 at 2:32 PM Post #682 of 885
Resolve posted brief impressions on the Headphones.com forum and seemed to think it staged massively, despite having fit issues.
Oh thanks! Somehow I missed that. He also mentions that the sound is highly position dependent, which is surprising to me. Maybe if you get the driver too low something gets in the way. I know that Grell mentioned the driver is low so that it doesn't rest on your cheekbone and cause any bone conduction. So maybe the issue is the opposite and it sits high for Resolve. I have so many questions that won't be answered for a month!

May 20, 2024 at 4:09 PM Post #686 of 885
Oh thanks! Somehow I missed that. He also mentions that the sound is highly position dependent, which is surprising to me. Maybe if you get the driver too low something gets in the way. I know that Grell mentioned the driver is low so that it doesn't rest on your cheekbone and cause any bone conduction. So maybe the issue is the opposite and it sits high for Resolve. I have so many questions that won't be answered for a month!
I think Evshrug mentioned something in his review as well, about the sound changing noticeably depending on how you position the ear cups and how the headband rests on your head.

I've seen similar statements about Hifiman headphones and getting a larger soundstage by changing the positioning. I personally haven't noticed much difference in that case, so it feels like the kind of thing that may vary dramatically depending on your head/ears/glasses on or off/etc.

Though with the OAE1 driver angled as much as it is and at the front of the cups it makes some sense to me that the sound might change pretty dramatically even with relatively minor adjustments to positioning.

Hopefully we'll all be able to get it in the "sweet spot" and get the headphone to stay there!

May 20, 2024 at 4:37 PM Post #687 of 885
I think Evshrug mentioned something in his review as well, about the sound changing noticeably depending on how you position the ear cups and how the headband rests on your head.

I've seen similar statements about Hifiman headphones and getting a larger soundstage by changing the positioning. I personally haven't noticed much difference in that case, so it feels like the kind of thing that may vary dramatically depending on your head/ears/glasses on or off/etc.

Though with the OAE1 driver angled as much as it is and at the front of the cups it makes some sense to me that the sound might change pretty dramatically even with relatively minor adjustments to positioning.

Hopefully we'll all be able to get it in the "sweet spot" and get the headphone to stay there!
I have a Beyer T1 Gen 3 and it can fluctuate a lot based on the positioning and it seems ones ear shape. Helps explain why those have such wildly varying impressions as well to the point where their impressions are like they are talking about an entirely different headphone.

The Grell OAE1 takes the T1 concept to the extreme so not surprised there may be wildly different impressions on the headphone based on fit and ones individual ear shapes.

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 7:56 PM Post #688 of 885
@Evshrug In your personal opinion, do you think it makes sense to own the OAE1, if one already has a HD800 setup that works satisfactorily with bass eq'ed in? I am in a dilemma whether to order the OAE1, given that I regularly use the HD800 for music and quite happy with it. What else could the OAE1 bring to the table that I cannot get using a HD800 and hardware eq (I mean Schist Loki)? I understand it could mean a lot for those who are looking for a lower price alternative to HD800. Thank you for your feedback in advance.

Last edited:
May 21, 2024 at 6:10 PM Post #689 of 885
Is they gonna be available in Europe, also are these really a budget combination of HD600+800s? The lovely sound of HD600 with the sub-bass extension and with big soundstage such as HD800s?
Something like that, I think it will have the expansive hd800 soundstage but usable with likable sound on a wider range of equipment

The biggest weakness of the hd800 is that it sounds too sharp with most gear, this looks to fix that issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back