DROP + GRELL OAE1
Mar 19, 2024 at 3:03 PM Post #273 of 889
Rather, my impression is that the farther down the rabbit hole reviewers go, so to speak, the more "picky" they can be about certain things. Things that might ruin the headphone for them, though it may not ruin the headphone for many of us. This is just my opinion and observation.
I used to review too… and yeah, the more you get used to teasing apart the differences, the more discerning you become. I’ve had a hard time both describing a difference AND almost backpedaling to try to describe how much/little they contrast. Some people just stay in that “scoped in” view. When I stopped, it was easier to be more accepting. Reviewing is hard! I’m thinking about getting back into it 😂

Mar 19, 2024 at 3:07 PM Post #274 of 889
I used to review too… and yeah, the more you get used to teasing apart the differences, the more discerning you become. I’ve had a hard time both describing a difference AND almost backpedaling to try to describe how much/little they contrast. Some people just stay in that “scoped in” view. When I stopped, it was easier to be more accepting. Reviewing is hard! I’m thinking about getting back into it 😂
Ah yes, the dangers of getting too close to what you're studying.

I experienced it very heavily when I was in a graduate writing program. For a while I couldn't read or watch anything without scrutinizing the smallest details. Thankfully it's faded with time and I can interact with books and movies more like a normal person now. Emphasis on "more"

Mar 19, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #275 of 889
How and why ?

It just sounded weird to me. Almost like there was a phase issue. Instead of the FR seeming like a cohesive whole, it sounded more like a 20-balanced-armature IEM with poorly done crossover. I was also hoping for an expansive soundstage and found that I couldn't really detect anything special in that regard. In the end, it sounded OKAY, but it was definitely in the bottom 3 items I heard at the show.

If it's released to acclaim, I would assume that changes were made and would certainly be interested in purchasing and giving it a second chance on my own equipment and in a significantly less noisy environment (although this was one of the first things I heard at the show and did my listening on it before the hall got too loud).

Mar 19, 2024 at 6:22 PM Post #276 of 889
It just sounded weird to me. Almost like there was a phase issue. Instead of the FR seeming like a cohesive whole, it sounded more like a 20-balanced-armature IEM with poorly done crossover. I was also hoping for an expansive soundstage and found that I couldn't really detect anything special in that regard. In the end, it sounded OKAY, but it was definitely in the bottom 3 items I heard at the show.

If it's released to acclaim, I would assume that changes were made and would certainly be interested in purchasing and giving it a second chance on my own equipment and in a significantly less noisy environment (although this was one of the first things I heard at the show and did my listening on it before the hall got too loud).
You're not the only one I've seen say it sounds "weird" or "off." That description is very interesting. I have no idea what could be causing such a lack of cohesion, unless there's just something in the relationship between different parts of the FR.

:thinking:

Mar 19, 2024 at 9:31 PM Post #277 of 889

Well, it is one full range driver. So I’d only expect to hear something like that if there were a lot of deep and obvious notches in the FRC, something that could only be done with EQ or several Helmholtz resonators.

Mar 19, 2024 at 11:28 PM Post #279 of 889
Mar 20, 2024 at 1:03 AM Post #280 of 889
I hope I can hear this at CanJam Dallas. I'm a sucker for a good trainwreck.

Mar 20, 2024 at 10:59 AM Post #281 of 889
I can't say it sounds appealing but it certainly sounds interesting
Interesting is a good start, appealing would be subjective.

.....the accepted trend these days appears to lean toward producing decorative pretty cups in metal, wood, etc and safe, pleasant sounding headphones....trophy headphones.:rolling_eyes:

......as I've noted earlier, personally I'm hoping with regards to sound, for something out of the ordinary, different, new frontiers. :sunglasses:

Mar 20, 2024 at 11:07 AM Post #282 of 889
Yeah seriously, who wants pretty headphones that sound good?

Mar 20, 2024 at 11:08 AM Post #283 of 889
Mar 20, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #284 of 889
.....the accepted trend these days appears to lean toward producing decorative pretty cups in metal, wood, etc and safe, pleasant sounding headphones....trophy headphones.:rolling_eyes:
Well obviously it should look and sound good.
Why would anything else be the Trend now that you don't have to decide between looks and sound but can have both at the same time?

Mar 20, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #285 of 889
I do agree we need companies to push the hobby further. That's why I'm excited for the Immanis and the X8000.

Heck, if this Grell-phone actually was 20 balanced armatures in each cup, I'd be even more interested than I already am. I really don't know whether to expect a dumpster-fire, an HD800 with less stage, or something uniquely good.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back