DROP + GRELL OAE1
Nov 26, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #121 of 887
For free & angled drivers you could Mysphere use!
Axel Grell or the old German/Austrian manufacturers Sennheiser / Neumann, Beyerdynamic, Ultrasone, AKG (the rest in Samsungs care now) don't really bring us anything groundbreaking new, just detail-improved new editions. Only Newcomer Austrain.Audio do it!
AKG vs Austrian Audio?? I know you’re a fanboy, but at least tell the truth….

Leo

Nov 26, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #122 of 887
IMG_4292.gif

Nov 26, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #124 of 887
Maybe I should have kept quiet...... :relaxed:

Nov 27, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #125 of 887
AKG vs Austrian Audio?? I know you’re a fanboy, but at least tell the truth….

Leo
Yes, it is true that Austrian.Audio was founded by some of the former AKG employees in Vienna!
BUT I am referring to the AKG (branding) that was bought by Samsung! That's a big difference!
Hardly anything new comes from this company!

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #126 of 887
BUT I am referring to the AKG (branding) that was bought by Samsung! That's a big difference!
Hardly anything new comes from this company!
Reminds me of when the National Ballet back in the 90s let go all the dancers because of budget cuts but kept management. lol : (

Dec 21, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #129 of 887
Initially this headphone was not planned to be something flagship level. But I really hope Axel Grell releases something flagship level with all the new innovations he is trying to put in this headphone. Something like using a ring driver (or something more advanced) but in this new open design ....

Dec 23, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #133 of 887
Initially this headphone was not planned to be something flagship level. But I really hope Axel Grell releases something flagship level with all the new innovations he is trying to put in this headphone. Something like using a ring driver (or something more advanced) but in this new open design ....
Well, the HD 580/600/650 were considered flagships at their release! If you’re one of the people who find the timbre of Axel Grell’s designs to be world-class (and punching above their price class), grell spoke at the CanJams about how he was taking his timbre taste to these new innovations for a super open-sounding headphone. I haven’t heard any prototypes, since I left grell in July ‘22, but on paper the OAE1 seems to offer the soundstage and timbre that were on my holy grail wish list, and at a price I might actually be able to afford. I’m honestly hoping I could work with Axel again; it was a bummer to leave (and the second half of ’22 was the hardest time in my personal life), but we didn’t burn bridges.

With regards to the ring-driver design, if you haven’t seen Sennheiser’s latest interview with Jermo and Meike, I think they did a great job explaining why a driver can be too big (modal distortion, basically the transducer wobbles, and the need for a “spider” for speaker-sized transducers which do have a break-in period) or too small (especially for non in-ears):

The ring driver was a great idea to keep a stiff membrane in a larger surface area, but that’s unique to Sennheiser Hearing and for all I know it’s proprietary; they don’t do OEM, but never say never… Sennheiser did a joint-venture with the Demiant group for years to make the EPOS Gaming headsets (RIP).

IMG_4510.pngIMG_4511.png
IMG_4509.pngIMG_4513.png
Took photos of the latest GrellAudio posting on Instagrram. Only way I know how to share this from the Instagram site. The photographs/ info are/ is, in sequence.
I’ll add the link too: https://www.instagram.com/p/C1E0Z5aovX8/?igsh=dngzczIzaXpsemtj

I’m not 💯% knowledgeable about the production process, but I believe this means the design is *done,* next the tuning has “gone gold” once they do the pre-mass production samples to test the tooling that will be used for mass production/release. It’s a good sign for progress! We usually don’t see the time it takes to develop a new headphone for large companies because they keep it a secret until right before release, but it’s been cool to see the progression for designing the OAE1. I wonder how many prototypes have been made 😂

Dec 23, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #134 of 887
Well, the HD 580/600/650 were considered flagships at their release! If you’re one of the people who find the timbre of Axel Grell’s designs to be world-class (and punching above their price class), grell spoke at the CanJams about how he was taking his timbre taste to these new innovations for a super open-sounding headphone. I haven’t heard any prototypes, since I left grell in July ‘22, but on paper the OAE1 seems to offer the soundstage and timbre that were on my holy grail wish list, and at a price I might actually be able to afford. I’m honestly hoping I could work with Axel again; it was a bummer to leave (and the second half of ’22 was the hardest time in my personal life), but we didn’t burn bridges.
Thanks for the detailed info. And hope your life gets only better. To be clear I am not worried about the tuning, I did not have much issue with the tuning of HD 660S and, its the detail retrieval and smoothness of the HD 800S to which it comes no-where near. I just hope Axel's new headphone has that level of detail retrieval and if not, he releases one like that in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back