[AWARENESS] Near-miss or accident while listening to headphone
Jun 13, 2008 at 2:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

babi12

New Head-Fier
Public concerns about safety of iPod listener. It's not uncommon to read in newspaper or witness that someone was hit by car as s/he didn't hear the car was coming when crossing the road.

I always listen to my iPod while commuting and had couple of near-misses from cyclist, taxis and trams. Also, I've been asked to re-do the safety induction at my workplace as I failed to evacuate during a mock-emergency-alarm (I didn't hear the alarm clearly as I was using IEM at that time)

Have you experienced near-miss or accident or receive fingers while listening to headphone?
And, what's your strategy to prevent that (esp for IEM user)?

Jun 13, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #2 of 14
A) Common sense to not listen too loud and be aware of my surroundings

B) I don't use IEMs

Jun 13, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #5 of 14
I only listen to headphones when they are connected to immobile gear. In my younger days, I used headphones in my car, and always kept alert for cops, if nothing else.

Laz

Jun 13, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and usually don't wear anything.

so you're the one that was terrorizing everyone in local elementary school.

I use iems, but I tend not to use it while walking - only for long bus/train rides.

If I do, I look both ways, bring a Pomeranian guide dog, and wear neon pink spandex to be better noticed

pinkranger.jpg

Jun 13, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #7 of 14
This is why I'm a non-advocate for running, walking, cycling, etc. in open public while utilizing IEM. I've voiced my opinion on these boards in the past. It's just too much of a liability to fully impede the use of your hearing while 3 ton vehicles whiz-by, or muggers on the prowl.

I used to live in Alaska and frolicking about in the city or woods without the use of your hearing could result in some "Good Eats" for a voracious bear.

My TF-10s only get play-time in the home or at the gym.
cool.gif

Jun 13, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #8 of 14
I am an avid cyclist. It's how I get around. Nothing bugs me more when riding on a trail or on the street than the moron walking or jogging, blissfully lost in his or her own world. They are a danger to themselves, and to others.

Don't be a moron when listening to your IEMs.

Jun 13, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #9 of 14
iems are uncomfortable anyways. and when i wear buds in public, i just have 1 in the ear, so im able to hear everything

Jun 13, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #10 of 14
1) Use your eyes (and all the more vigilantly since your sense of hearing of your surrounding is practically impaired).

For example, you don't want to be the unfortunate chap 'accidentally' in the way of a police/ambulance/fire brigade vehicle screaming through the road with sirens blasting...

2) I consider listening to music at work a rude gesture to colleagues, esp. with IEMs that practically isolate one away from everyone. At the very least, use earbuds or semi-open headphones that still allow you to stay in touch with what is happening around you.

For example, you don't want to 'accidentally' ignore your manager/boss waiting behind you...

Jun 13, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #11 of 14
Here in the states, every business has to have flashing lights with they're fire alarms so deaf people know there's a fire. They're pretty hard to miss.

I use my UM1 during my commute. I walk over a mile as part of the commute. However, I listen at low enough levels that I hear things going on around me. I've never had a near miss in 4 years of using IEMs. I tend to be paranoid crossing a street even without headphones. I look both ways even on a one way street. It serves me well. I've seen cars coming the wrong way a few times outside work and I've never had a problem when traveling somewhere that they drive on the other side of the road.

Since I occasionally ride a bike on the local bike paths, I'm pretty aware there as well. I hug one edge of the path. The paths are busy and I've never had a near miss other than when I was on a bike and another biker coming the other way cuts a corner.

IMO on a bike path, people walking dogs and people walking next to each other talking are more of a problem than one person walking listening to headphones.

Jun 13, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #13 of 14
Good lord how loud do people listen? Even with my ER-4s stuffed in my ears walking around I can still hear passing cars and idiots with too many subwoofers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back