AV710 does real-time external Dolby Digital??
Dec 4, 2004 at 5:40 AM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
What kind of TV do you have and what inputs does it have? Which convertor do you have?

The TV is the family "left-over". It's a 4-year old Samsung with only composite and coax inputs. The TView is (going by memory--it's in storage) about the same age and, I think, does 1024 x 768.

Not too great, I know, but it probably has to do for at least a few months. I could justify a new scan converter, or a TV card for my PC (though I am already using a multi-monitor system built around nVidia Quadro NVS cards, so I want to be careful about conflicts and/or having the nView utility that controls my video cards shut down by stepping outside nVidia's unified driver architecture--it's pretty useful).

Of course my room gets last priority
tongue.gif

-coma

Dec 4, 2004 at 5:49 AM Post #17 of 20
hmmm.... I'm not sure about multimonitor with THAT many but how about some video card with composite out built in?

Dec 4, 2004 at 6:25 AM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
hmmm.... I'm not sure about multimonitor with THAT many but how about some video card with composite out built in?

That's actually a good idea. Perhaps there's a good, fast dual-monitor (one CRT/LCD + a TV) nVidia AGP card with a reputation for high-quality TV out. I could move all my current monitors onto PCI Quadro cards. Each card handles 2 monitors and I've got a spare. If I stick with nVidia, my nView utility stays operational.

Didn't think of this before--thanks. Plus a decent new AGP card would mean games on the big screen (NVS Quadros are limited that way). And being able to use the DVD-ROM inside the computer would mean I could go with my wacky 'T-amp' plan where everything is connected through the T-amps to the 5.1 or 7.1 soundcard (I really want to try it, even if just for the geek-factor). Perhaps I could even use the AV710 I already own and buy an EMU-0404 for music. Or the M-Audio Revo 5.1 or 7.1.

-coma

P.S. Or, yes, a Panasonic digital receiver via the AV710's 'pass-through'... just thought I'd say I'm still considering that option
biggrin.gif

Dec 4, 2004 at 7:13 AM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by comabereni
So just to confirm before I spend $100-$200, the Audigy 2 (Platinum, Platinum Pro) can take an external signal (from my Sony DVD, for example), encode it and output analog 5.1/7.1 through its several mini-jacks? If so, I should be able to take the output (line-level, I assume) output signal(s) and feed each to a separate amplifier (like, say, (5) or (6) Sonic Impact T-amps
biggrin.gif
) and feed it to my speakers.

I don't think it can do it.

Dec 4, 2004 at 7:36 AM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan

LAN:

I wasn't absolutely certain I could find decent composite TV out from a video card, but this sounds encouraging: http://www.xpmce.com/forum/ftopic81763-0.html.
Here's what it says:

"Webforce, I have the hp m377n and it came with an ATI 9200 vid card. I too have cable in to the MCE and s-video out to a 50" rear projection tv. I never could get a quality picture on the tv, in live tv or dvds. It was a clear picture, but washed out and too bright. I then swapped in an Nvidia fx5200 vid card and use the 53.04 mce drivers. You can adjust just about everything with these drivers and I now have a perfect tv picture that almost rivals the regular line in. You get an Nvidia icon for adjusting the quality in the lower right taskbar. Click on it and go into desktop color controls>tv. There you can make many adjustments to the colors, even seperate red, green, blue, or all, gamma, brightness, contrast, digital vibrance, and image sharpening. I made seperate saves for tv and dvd playback. If you mess with it enough, I am sure you will come up with a quality picture. Also, my wifes Gateway mce2002 has a live tv picture that is AS good as a dirct line in to the tv. Crystal clear! But thats on a 36" CRT. Mine would be as good if I wasn't feeding it to the 50" RP, but I am now happy with it. Nvidia has their Sh_t together! Cheers!"

This ought to hold me over until I can talk my wife into the front projection TV in a few months. I'll post a report when I get my office/media room finished and everything moved inside (i.e. I bought the nVidia 5200 128MB 8x AGP with TV out online tonight).

-coma

P.S. I must've read hundreds of your posts by now and always assumed you were "Ian" until I saw you correct someone earlier today. Looks like you're the victim of the Head-Fi san-serif font in the user info frame
biggrin.gif
. You should consider having your username changed to capitals to eliminate confusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back