"authorized denon dealers" on ebay, selling dcm-280
May 16, 2006 at 2:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

binkgle

500+ Head-Fier
There are a lot of very well-priced denon dcm-280s and 280s on ebay being sold by "authorized denon dealers" (just search "denon dcm" [you don't need the quotation marks]). are these guys trustworthy? they're prices are so good...

i've searched around for info on the dcm-280 (which is more in my price range than the 380) here, and it sounds to be pretty good. how does it compare with the dcd-15xx series, which are only single-disk? i'm mainly interested in the headphone out, but eventually i may get an amp and use the line outs on the back.

also, do these players have a reputation as lasting a long time, average, or brealing within two weeks of receiving them new? i've not been able to find much like that here, unfortuneately.

thanks so much for your help, guys,
Jack

May 17, 2006 at 3:36 AM Post #2 of 10
anyone?

May 17, 2006 at 4:37 AM Post #3 of 10
Well its not a "authorized dealer" but they say that it was purchased by a authorized dealer. This is what they say:
Quote:

This was purchased from an authorized Denon dealer, and you get all benefits of purchasing direct from a Denon authorized dealer.

I'm not too sure if its true.....
You can trust ebay, as long as the seller has good feedback. And these Denons are "B stock" so it is not as good as you think.

May 17, 2006 at 11:48 PM Post #4 of 10
What exactly does B-stock mean, then? Is it used/refurb, or just old and never sold at stores (back-stock)? What's wrong with that?

May 18, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #5 of 10
There are a view "facts" that the average buying public is not aware of. One is that the retailer can make any sort of profit margin they wish. Most big names like it to be between 50 to 60% of the retail price. So they buy at 40 and sell at 100. I know: I have been in such negotiations.
An eBay seller doesn't have to take the whole 60%. Most are quite happy with a mere fraction of that. They buy at 40 and sell at 50 to 60. So they sell at half the price of the normal retail price, whilst still making a decent profit.
Small retailers buy at 60 to 70, and still have to compete against the 100 of the big retailers. It can be hard for them to compete when they can only afford to have one of each item on display.

May 18, 2006 at 12:45 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by StanleyB
There are a view "facts" that the average buying public is not aware of. One is that the retailer can make any sort of profit margin they wish. Most big names like it to be between 50 to 60% of the retail price. So they buy at 40 and sell at 100. I know: I have been in such negotiations.
An eBay seller doesn't have to take the whole 60%. Most are quite happy with a mere fraction of that. They buy at 40 and sell at 50 to 60. So they sell at half the price of the normal retail price, whilst still making a decent profit.
Small retailers buy at 60 to 70, and still have to compete against the 100 of the big retailers. It can be hard for them to compete when they can only afford to have one of each item on display.

i'm sorry, i don't follow the point you're trying to make

May 18, 2006 at 6:57 AM Post #7 of 10
Well, in a nutshell: the ebay price and the shop price of any article do not have to be the same! Both business models work on diffrent profit margins, even when both of them have to pay the original equipment manufacturer or distributor the same buying price.

May 18, 2006 at 11:26 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by StanleyB
Well, in a nutshell: the ebay price and the shop price of any article do not have to be the same! Both business models work on diffrent profit margins, even when both of them have to pay the original equipment manufacturer or distributor the same buying price.

ok, thx.

"And these Denons are "B stock" so it is not as good as you think" what's wrong with b-stock, though? if it's new and the price is better....

May 19, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #10 of 10
yeah, i've now read around a bit more, and they do seem to have some build issues. i guess the dcd 1500 is back on top of the list...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back