Australian Hi-Fi Show 2014 - Melbourne
Oct 17, 2014 at 4:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

isquirrel

Headphoneus Supremus
Kicking off a new thread with coverage of the Australian Hi Fi show in Melbourne, from the 17th to the 19th October.

1st up had a listen to the Woo Audio Mono 234's yesterday with the Abyss. It had the stock tubes in, they are going to be putting in the NOS Sophia's etc today.

Also hooked in to the system was the Light Harmonic Da Vinci dual DAC. 

Only had a short listen to a few tracks but can finally see what everyone is talking about with the Abyss. IMHO they look awful, my partner generously pointed out that I looked ridiculous wearing them and that there was no way she was going to have a listen. Anyway she did despite her 'headache'.

They had an enormous soundstage, great bass, but in what must be either the ultimate or very close to it - headphone system where was the magic??

I have organised an extended listen on Monday so will post more in depth impressions there.

Oct 17, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #2 of 7
Then onto the Macintosh room

Oct 17, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #3 of 7
Woo Audio WA8 was on hand but unable to to be auditioned.

Oct 17, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #4 of 7
Traveling in style with the ALO Studio Six and QBD76 HDSD.....

Oct 23, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #6 of 7
You must have come on friday, you missed the Stax SR-009 and Blue Hawaii combo also plugged into the Da Vinci :)

Oct 23, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #7 of 7
I was fortunate enough to spend a day listening to the DaVinci through my Studio Six after the show, a few days before I spent a day listening to the Gryphon Kalliope, both truly world class DAC's.

The Kalliope was was good however the DaVinci was just beautiful, I noticed it was the 1st time I had heard the most intricate details of a performance and the sound had an interesting and welcome effect - I felt my brain and body relax and sink into the sound just like the same effect I get from good quality playback on vinyl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back