Aussie DIY builder for a balanced β22
Nov 23, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #91 of 104
^ Damn AMB that was fast!

Thanks for your reply. Seems I have some more thinking to do in order to work out which way to go... and to think I haven't started building yet!!!

BTW John, I have discovered through conversation that I have a friend who can help with the build. I haven't explained the whole group build concept yet, and to add to complications he will be moving away shortly after Christmas, but at least it is a contact I can get regular advice from. Perhaps we should start a new thread specific to an Aussie/Sydney DIY group build and confirm interest so we can get an order together?

Nov 23, 2008 at 7:28 AM Post #92 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by poo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW John, I have discovered through conversation that I have a friend who can help with the build. I haven't explained the whole group build concept yet, and to add to complications he will be moving away shortly after Christmas, but at least it is a contact I can get regular advice from. Perhaps we should start a new thread specific to an Aussie/Sydney DIY group build and confirm interest so we can get an order together?

Any helps great
biggrin.gif
Have you made anything yet? I made a $19 FM Wireless Microphone from DSE. It actually worked for 20 secs and went dead and has been dead ever since. I tried to measure with a multimeter to try and debug, but I’m getting know where fast. Soldering is easier that I expected, although I’m still waiting for some flux and braid, for when I put the Mini 3 together. I also got one of those handy helping hands device, the one’s with a magnifying glass - recommended for blind people, totally cool. New thread sounds good, I think the interest factor is dwindling... it’s only me and you atm, maybe spark up more interest. I’ll put one up later tonight
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 8, 2008 at 11:42 AM Post #93 of 104
Here are some really bad shots of my Mini 3 I finished today.
I had a few problems with the volume and input and output pots, but after re-flowing solder in these parts it’s fixed!

I’m in the process of trying to de-bug a power up problem, the amp will power up only after a few attempts (if left for a period of time)
frown.gif

The amp sounds really nice... Thanks AMB.
smile.gif

***INSPIRATION FOR A B22***
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 9, 2008 at 10:28 AM Post #94 of 104
Awesome - nice work man! Now that you've built it, how do you feel about taking on the B22? Still keen?
smily_headphones1.gif

I have a bunch of cable on the way to make a few odd interconnects, balance my HD650s (in preparation
very_evil_smiley.gif
) and a headphone extension cable for my 530s. Decided to start with a few cables to get used to my iron and decide on what to build as a starter. Thinking of a starter build is proving difficult - I don't want to build something I won't use, and in terms of audio gear (with the exception of the Beta) there isn't much I want
confused_face.gif
Been a while since that's happened!

Really want to get stuck into something though, especially with time off over Christmas fast approaching!

Dec 9, 2008 at 11:10 AM Post #95 of 104
An AMB M³ would be a terrific warm up, and you should eb able to sell it quite easily (I would think).

Quote:

Originally Posted by poo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awesome - nice work man! Now that you've built it, how do you feel about taking on the B22? Still keen?
smily_headphones1.gif

I have a bunch of cable on the way to make a few odd interconnects, balance my HD650s (in preparation
very_evil_smiley.gif
) and a headphone extension cable for my 530s. Decided to start with a few cables to get used to my iron and decide on what to build as a starter. Thinking of a starter build is proving difficult - I don't want to build something I won't use, and in terms of audio gear (with the exception of the Beta) there isn't much I want
confused_face.gif
Been a while since that's happened!

Really want to get stuck into something though, especially with time off over Christmas fast approaching!

Dec 9, 2008 at 11:14 AM Post #96 of 104
It was nice to make something and have it working nicely, the amps totally de-bugged now. I’m not much into portable and I made this for my son, man this thing sounds good, I mean really good (especially through the 840c).

I have a balanced B22 in sight, but kind of like the idea of the standard 3 channel version first. I think this is a less daunting proposition, and as least what you’ll be making goes into the balanced version later
wink.gif
Or maybe sell it!

Definitely very keen interest still
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #98 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could consider a dual channel B22 to start with and work your way up to the balanced version.

True, that’s an option as well. I’ve also being eyeing the Millett Hybrid Maxed, Glass Jar has them as a total kit with Hammond enclosue mmmm nice. I now have the mini 3 and M^3 balanced, could be a good idea for a change from the AMB house sound.

Dec 10, 2008 at 10:40 AM Post #100 of 104
The Millet Max is definitely a good option, well removed from the 'AMB school of amp design' (so to speak). Its a nice all-in-one-place amp with a nice level of complexity. And it sounds really good.

Dec 10, 2008 at 11:12 AM Post #101 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh heh there's not really an amb house sound. The mini^3 sounds completely different from the Beta22 as far as amps go.

Point taken, assumption only
redface.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daveze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Millet Max is definitely a good option, well removed from the 'AMB school of amp design' (so to speak). Its a nice all-in-one-place amp with a nice level of complexity. And it sounds really good.

That’s what I like about it too, nice and contained in box
biggrin.gif
Also there’s a bit of wiring to get into unlike the Mini 3 which is board only.

Feb 10, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #102 of 104
I’ve was contemplating another build like the Millet Max, but have jumped straight for the β22 balanced with 2 σ22’s. I picked up Jeff’s kit on Saturday, had some time on Sunday to start tinkering. Well.. I pretty happy with my first stages, I’ve just finished one σ22 tonight - running nice and stable at 30v
smile_phones.gif
The rest of the build includes a DACT CT2 50k balanced attenuator (arrived in the mail today), a pair of 12" X 12" X 3" par-metal cases (ordered). I will be running 2 umbilical cables, the Amphenol ecolmate connectors I picked up from Jaycar on Sunday.

Feb 10, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #104 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much is the case shipped to Oz?

$195USD shipped. It has two 3mm thick front face panels for front and back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back