Audiotrack Dr. dac 2 or Styleaudio Peridot
Jan 14, 2009 at 1:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Cecala

Headphoneus Supremus
I can buy either Audiotrack Dr. dac 2 or Styleaudio Peridot for the same price.
Can somebody with experience with these two amps provide a compelling argument for one over the other.

Jan 14, 2009 at 7:52 AM Post #2 of 8
i have Dr.DAC2 and StyleAudio Carat-Ruby
Both are at the same sonical level, they have a superb dac (best DAC from TI Burr-Brown), and a very good amplification for headphones (no kidding)
Peridot is not so good as Ruby or DrDAC2, so i would sugest you to get that Dr.DAC2, it's well built and you will love it im 100% sure
I use Ruby at work, and DrDac2 at home, both are great products
smily_headphones1.gif

Also you can swap op-amps in Dr.DAC2, depending on your phones and what kind of music do you listen i can also sugest some good op-amps to try.

Jan 14, 2009 at 9:59 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for replying DarKu,
Where can I get the Ruby for the best price delivered to Australia, we have a distributor here although they do not carry the Ruby.
Also is the RCA output controlled by the Volume level?
I could not find any reviews online, do you know of any?

Thanks.

Jan 14, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #4 of 8
An korean head-fier sold it to me, a new one i do not know where to find, also i cannot find any reviews for it, but all i can say it is a very good DAC/AMP.
I like Dr.DAC2 a little more because of inputs, and socketable DIP8 op-amps, i can change them depending on what kind of sound i want. However i find Ruby to be a better match for Low impedance cans like Grados or Denons, and Dr.DAC2 better for High impedance cans. RCA output in Ruby is not controlled by volume level (it's a true Line-out), i did't test this on Dr.DAC2.

Jan 15, 2009 at 12:31 PM Post #6 of 8
Can you both talk a little about the build quality of each, how strong they are and the quality of the switches/volume pot.

Darku, where did you purchase your Dr.DAC2 from?
Thanks.

Feb 25, 2009 at 9:53 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by trungkien978 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do ruby need an charger for using or just USb line is enough, i just purchase it but i forgot to buy the internation charger
frown.gif

Not a charger, it does not use batteries. Having said this, yes you need to power it from a wall socket for it to work properly. I have seen people say that you can power it from the USb socket although its advised against (SQ wise).
BTW where did you buy this from and how much?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back