AudioPrism WaveGuides! Way better than ferrites!
Jul 27, 2003 at 6:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

SteeleBlayde

1000+ Head-Fier
Heres a pretty interesting review, and I have to say I concur!
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/a..._waveguide.htm

Edit: By the way, they cost $99 now instead of the $125 mentioned in that review. Http://www.audioprism.com/ for the company's website.

Jul 27, 2003 at 3:34 PM Post #2 of 5
Did you notice that Audio Prism is in Redmond WA?

It might be worth a trip over to see them. They might be willing to set up an audition?

Mitch " Born Again Skeptic"

Jul 27, 2003 at 10:15 PM Post #3 of 5
I dunno, its worth a shot I guess! I'm pretty busy at the moment though, I got a bunch of summer classes and I'm leaving for Hong Kong on the 9th! (YAY!) Maybe I can sort something out when I get back...about a month later.
tongue.gif

Jul 27, 2003 at 10:29 PM Post #4 of 5
Heres my email correspondence with Victor Tiscareno - VP of engineering at AudioPrism, so far

ME:
Hello,
I'm under the impression that this product will help filter out noise interferences suck as EMI and RF much better than simple use of ferrites. Am I correct in this assumption?

VICTOR:
Yes, the WaveGuide performs the same function as a ferrite bead, except that it works in a lower and broader frequency range. It works well around almost any cable or wire. Power cords and digital interconnects are obvious uses.

ME:
Does it matter where the WaveGuide is installed on the cable or how many there are on the cable?

VICTOR:
It all depends on what you are trying to achieve. If you are asking about noise attenuation, theoretically, more inductance should provide more shielding. If you are referring to improving sound quality, adding 2 WG to a power cord, especially on a power cord feeding a large power amplifier, the better. However, there will be a point where adding more WG does not add anything to sound quality vs cost. You will likely hear changes in sound by sliding the WG along the cable, but I find that installing at either the wall side or as close as you can to the equipment's AC entrance will be best. I ask that experiment fully to maximize the sonic benefits.

If you are noticeably experiencing RFI or EMI through your speakers, the noise may or may not be coming in through the power cable. Believe me, there is always noise on the AC, but what people sometimes think is causing the radio to play through the speakers, may be filtering through the poor shielding of interconnects or skin effect on the enclosure. In other words,
bypassing the power cords with or without WG's installed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Needless to say, using these things in quantity could get expensive!!
eek.gif

Jul 27, 2003 at 11:12 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for the link SteeleBlayde. I've seen the AudioPrism Wave Guide before and wondered if it worked. Seems like the reviewer thought it did.

I have to admit, though, that unless you have RFI/EMI problems this seems to be a tweak to consider after you've completed your system (if that ever happens
wink.gif
).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back