Audiophile Sound Card
Apr 21, 2012 at 1:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Deutschmark

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for the best sound card for music; synthesizer software, music listening, etc.; for around $300. This is aimed toward high quality music playback rather than gaming. I have a pair of AIAIAI TMA-1's and impedance isn't really a problem, although may be a valid future concern. Basically, it's hard to find a nice sound card without being tech savvy enough to be familiar with the best brands. Please help!

Apr 22, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #2 of 14
Asus Xonar Essence STX or Creative Titanium HD.

Apr 23, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #4 of 14
Do you specifically want an on board card? Nowadays many people find a stand alone box connected to your computer via USB (or Firewire) to be more convienient. It is often claimed that this method also offers higher quality by isolating your signal from electrical interference from the PC. Either way the most cost effective high quality solutions are offered by the manufacturers of pro audio gear. RME is the gold standard but unfortunately even their least expensive models are a bit over your budget. Reliable brands you can afford include E-MU, M-Audio and, my own recomendation, Fucusrite. Take a look at their websites.

Apr 23, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #6 of 14
Thanks for the advice Ronald. I have seen many of the external components but they all seem much more expensive, and less convenient. I might eventually go over my budget, but I'll take a look at some of those brands. 

Apr 23, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #8 of 14
I have seen many of the external components but they all seem much more expensive, and less convenient. I might eventually go over my budget

You can spend your own money however you like but you ought to be aware that the fast track and 0202 cost less than half your original proposed budget of $300.

You can even get the next models up - Fast Track Pro, 0404 or even the Focusrite Sapphie 6 and still trouser almost $100. A third of the original budget.

Jun 14, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:
I have seen many of the external components but they all seem much more expensive, and less convenient. I might eventually go over my budget

You can spend your own money however you like but you ought to be aware that the fast track and 0202 cost less than half your original proposed budget of $300.

You can even get the next models up - Fast Track Pro, 0404 or even the Focusrite Sapphie 6 and still trouser almost $100. A third of the original budget.

Hi Ronald,
            Just a newbie question here, but would these external usb devices eleminate the need for a usb dac and amp? I'm looking for something along the lines of the OP.  Basically I want to make sure this is all I need to get the most out of lossless 24bit/96hz digital music from my PC.  Interference is a big issue for me as well, so I like the external usb option. 

One other thing if you don't mind....with a usb dac I've heard some people say digital in via s/pdif is better than the usb input for high quality recordings.  If I'm using a media player like fast track, do I need another internal soundcard to send the audio from pc to something like the fast track pro over spdif?

- Tim

Jun 14, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #10 of 14
An external interface will contain a DAC element as a matter of course. It will probably also have a headphone amplifier built in. You will still need either active speakers or amp/receiver if you still have passive speakers.

No. A modern USB interface from a reputable brand with a known track record is your best option nowadays. S/PDIF only DACs are now effectively obsolete technology whether by co-ax or optical. Avoid if possible.

If you really insist then most interfaces have a S/PDIF input option anyway which can be fed from your motherboard. You can still buy USB > S/PDIF dongles but to do so is now a pointless waste of money as it  adds an unnecessary  step to the process and is only to be considered if you already own an old S/PDIF only DAC which for some reason you do not wish to replace just yet.

Jun 17, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:
An external interface will contain a DAC element as a matter of course. It will probably also have a headphone amplifier built in. You will still need either active speakers or amp/receiver if you still have passive speakers.

No. A modern USB interface from a reputable brand with a known track record is your best option nowadays. S/PDIF only DACs are now effectively obsolete technology whether by co-ax or optical. Avoid if possible.

If you really insist then most interfaces have a S/PDIF input option anyway which can be fed from your motherboard. You can still buy USB > S/PDIF dongles but to do so is now a pointless waste of money as it  adds an unnecessary  step to the process and is only to be considered if you already own an old S/PDIF only DAC which for some reason you do not wish to replace just yet.

What would you recommend for an external device for use with a laptop in the $100-$150 range?

Would one of these devices be better for use with a laptop as opposed to a dac/amp (like a Fiio E17, for example)? I have a Toshiba Satellite L745 laptop and I just want to get good sound from my headphones - I think the stock sound card isn't very good in this regard.

Jun 17, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #12 of 14
The only product close to your budget I have extensive hands experience with is this one.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrackPro.html 

I was so delighted with the concept that I almost immediately went for something with even more facilities but the Fast Track Pro is still in use at the summer house. 

It is at the top end of your budget and you might feel you don't need the extra inputs and outputs right now. I think this would be a mistake but if that is really the case you can get a simple Fast Track or something similar from the E-MU, Focusrite, Roland, Presonus or even at the pinch the Berhinger ranges. The prosumer companies have been in this market much longer than the hi-fi guys and they offer by far the best value imo.

If I was in your position right now I'd go for one of these. http://www.focusrite.com/products/audio_interfaces/scarlett_8i6/ It's double your budget though...........So you might want the simple 2 in 2 out version.http://www.focusrite.com/products/audio_interfaces/scarlett_2i2/ which is within your budget.

Jun 17, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #13 of 14
I would think you should consider the RME cards, although over your budget but you wouldn't be regret for such investment. RME is a company specific for professional or semi-professional products rather than Asus, Creative Labs etc. I am using a RME 9632, it sounds very great, clear, natural with deadly silent background. It comes with both digital and analogue input/outputs.

Jun 17, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #14 of 14
Cheers, guys. I'll start poking around and see if I can find any of these products locally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back