Audiophile quality wireless cans??
Apr 24, 2019 at 8:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

PaulMW

New Head-Fier
I'm just wondering if anyone knowsabout/canrecommend any top grade wireless headphones??

I've currently got - and regularly use :):smile_phones: - two pairs of excellent Sennheiser RS-220s which are IMO very good wifi cans. I can surely confirm that their THD figure is <.1% - as a baroque music fanatic they sound (to my geriatric ears :)) quite clear at the higher frequencies and with a quite good soundstage. IMO they are very little down qualitywise on the pair of HD-650s which I use as my "reference cans".
I can't understand why they (Sennh) stopped making them a few years ago - perhaps they were getting too many complaints from "idiots" - sure, they don't have a long range and their battery life is not as long as others, but I've yet to find any better wifi headphones. Almost every other type of wifi cans have a THD of <.5% - and when I got my firsdt pair of 220s the quality difference between that and <.1% meant that I instantly sold my RS-185s!

A few days ago I auditioned a pair of Beyerdynamic Amiron Wireless because they claim to have a THD of <.05%.
However they use bluetooth/aptX(?) which is an inherently lossy/compressing transmission system and which seems to be only able to transmit 44K wav SPDIFs through optical - which I know to be 10-15% down audioqualitywise on coax SPDIF transmission.
They were maybe slightly better than the RS-220s - but definitely not 1000bananas better!

So before giving up on this search I thought I might check here to see if anyone knows of any super-quality wireless cans that aren't showing up on my web searches. Obviously I'm not too worried about the price they might be.
Nowadays I simply can't be bothered with using wired cans any more - much easier though it is to get higher quality audio out of them.

Apr 24, 2019 at 11:12 PM Post #3 of 7
Yes - I know that they're nowhere near "high end"!
It's just that, as I said, I simply can't be bothered with wired headphones any longer. It's the music itself that impassions me - not the technology.
I was simply trying to find out iffen there was a better wireless set that I've missed - or that perhaps aren't available here in Aotearoa.
So: what would be the correct section for the question?

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2019 at 3:47 AM Post #5 of 7
Yes - I know that they're nowhere near "high end"!
It's just that, as I said, I simply can't be bothered with wired headphones any longer. It's the music itself that impassions me - not the technology.
I was simply trying to find out iffen there was a better wireless set that I've missed - or that perhaps aren't available here in Aotearoa.
So: what would be the correct section for the question?

I linked the correct section in my post. You'll likely get more responses there and not here because many will take a look and not reply back as the people looking at threads in here are looking at the best of the best wired headphones. There's no real TOTL choices for wireless right now as far as I know. This section is mostly $3k and up headphones. Even at a $1k budget, no one that I know of makes a wireless headphone that is around that price range. The most expensive ones are likely between $300 to $500. The full sized headphone section might have a thread about wireless choices, but I don't know because wireless isn't my thing. If you don't mind good IEMs, there's a few around $1k that I've heard people say are good and likely better than most wireless headphones. If that is an option then look up the xelento wireless. But I have no personal experiences with those either as no one stocks those in my area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back