Audiophile on ears - are there others?
Oct 1, 2023 at 8:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

AsciiJC

Member of the Trade: Valphonics
Formerly known as ValSuki
For a while i've been on a search for an on ear that would be classified as audiophile. Grado's don't do it for me, like the treble and the general sound doesn't fit me, so I was curious if there is a small market I am unaware of that I haven't found yet.

Yes, I know they are uncomfortable at times and not a lot of people enjoy these, but personally I love a good on ear.

Oct 1, 2023 at 9:52 PM Post #2 of 6
Depending on how large your ears are, Audio-Technica ATH-R70X have round pads that sit on the ear like the Grados. Pads are 9.5cm outer diameter. Much more comfortable than Grados -- which I also own -- with deeper bass, more transparency, more natural tone. Can't praise them enough.

Best price is probably thomann.de unless Brexit has messed things up.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 11:23 PM Post #3 of 6
I have the Audio Technica AD1000x and it's better than the Grado 325 by a mile with the best female vocals I've heard. The big pads sit right on the ear as well, like the R70X and they're so easy to drive, you'll never need an amplifier. The Sony MDR-7506 is another I've had that was good, and much easier to find than the 1000x, I think everyone carries those.

Oct 2, 2023 at 12:45 AM Post #4 of 6
Sony MDR-7506 has a much pushier clamping force than the Audio-Technicas. It's also a spikier frequency response curve. I have a pair but don't use them much. Then again, a lot of people love them and they are very affordable.

Oct 2, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #5 of 6
Audio Technica M60X is on-ear.

Sennheiser has the HD25.

And there is also Koss’s on-ear lineup.

Oct 3, 2023 at 1:55 AM Post #6 of 6
Depending on how large your ears are, Audio-Technica ATH-R70X have round pads that sit on the ear like the Grados. Pads are 9.5cm outer diameter. Much more comfortable than Grados -- which I also own -- with deeper bass, more transparency, more natural tone. Can't praise them enough.

Best price is probably thomann.de unless Brexit has messed things up.

This. I haven't heard them, but Crinacle gave them 3 stars (his highest honor) and said they were worth buying blind without even testing them first. He said the same about HD600's and SRH840A's and both of those headphones are, IMO, spectacular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back