Audiophile Grade Modems
Jun 8, 2019 at 5:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

DelsFan

100+ Head-Fier
OK, I know there is virtually no such thing. But if your front end of turntable and cartridge (or CD player) is important to your two-channel system, then why shouldn't your modem and switch be important to high-fidelity streaming?

I've searched and searched for recommendations for a simple cable modem (no wi-fi) with one coax input and one Ethernet output (or two is OK) - as soon as it is released the EtherREGEN will be inserted between my modem and Cary DMS-500 dedicated streamer. (In my mind, now, my wi-fi router will be isolated on the "other side" of the EtherREGEN.)

Has anyone any experience at all with different modems, or even just good manufacturers? I once read somewhere to look at small business products, that the residential modems are junk. Where to start? Cisco, Netgear, Arris, Zoom, Motorola? Their web sites are nearly useless.

On Amazon, maybe not the best place to shop for a "great" electronic product, Motorola offers a DOCSIS 3.1 modem rated up to 6 Gbps. Arris also has a DOCSIS 3.1 modem rated up to 10 Gbps. (My current plan is 150Gbps; speed is not the issue here). Each is just under $170?

Any thoughts? Order both and see which one sounds the best?

Jun 10, 2019 at 12:35 AM Post #2 of 3
It’s error checked/corrected digital data. No modem does or can sound any different (unless specifically built to degrade data, which makes no sense). Or if a working model was starting to fail, which would be obvious,

If bits were being changed, you would see it in every application downloading data from the internet. Web pages, Word documents, Bank Statements, medical records, etc.

Regulated industries have huge financial exposure if routers and switches in use were unreliable in their data transmission. They don’t use specialized or non standard Ethernet hardware or transmission protocols, you don’t need to either.

Proof is easy to obtain by looking at the data stream via a network sniffer.

Jun 17, 2019 at 11:16 PM Post #3 of 3
^^^ Yup. The idea is absurd - lots of financial, military, statistical, scientific, etc. data all depend on the same equipment that you and I run. Plus, a modem can only take care of the final to-the-home route - the vast majority still depends on thousands of kilometers of copper and fiber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back