Audiophile ADC for burning vinyl?
Dec 24, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #16 of 25
I have been doing the digital RIAA implementation which Jittippee posted here and gave us his incredible 24/96 VST RIAA.

I had a Lavry AD10, but sold it...only because I needed some cash.

I have a 1616M and I'm considering keeping it to use with a Black Sparrow ADC.

I looked at RME UC, and Benchmark ADC1 as well.

In terms of cost (from most to least):

ADC1 (Benchmark)
UC
Sparrow
1616M (in sig)

I was going to grab an ADC1 but after talking with Richard Tollerton (audio engineer), it seems that while recording at 24/96 for vinyl as certain benefits when doing digital RIAA and real-time (or post-recording) noise reduction, one would quickly reach the point of diminishing returns giving the limit of the vinyl medium. I don't need a phono stage as I have my flat gain preamp already.

If I go with the Sparrow, I will need the 1616M for the S/PDIF interface so I could compare the two.

Given the cost, I truly wonder if any big gains are to be found using the UC or ADC1 converters.

I think I will try the Sparrow and compare it to the 1616M.

Dec 25, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #17 of 25
The Alesis Masterlink ML-9600 ( http://www.alesis.com/masterlink ) is a terrific piece of gear for such purposes. You will get pro level results using one for digitizing your vinyl collection. The only drawback to this unit is the phono amp you use will have to be of very high quality in order to get the most from the Masterlink.

John Atkinson (Cantus recordings) has used various Alesis mastering/mix down gear for quite awhile now...the SQ from this gear is top notch. The ML9600 is somewhat cheap at 715US considering how expensive some of this gear can get.

Peete.

Dec 25, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #18 of 25
Ker-ay-Z avatar. The ML-9600 is a solid unit; I have heard it mentioned before. Problem is I need something that can interface directly with the PC for real-time digital RIAA implementation.

When I had the Lavry, I needed to keep an interface around because the Lavry does not have USB/Firewire. At the time, it was a 1212M.

I really can't justify the cost of the ADC1, Mytek, or RME UC as the cost twice or three times as much as the 1616M or Black Sparrow.

I like the RME and 1616M as I like having extra inputs for archiving radio or analog tape (yes I still have cassettes - that sound damn good).

If I do bump up over the 1616M with the Sparrow, I will keep the 1616M as both transport for digital and converter for these alternate archival uses.

DC

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Alesis Masterlink ML-9600 ( Masterlink ML-9600 ) is a terrific piece of gear for such purposes. You will get pro level results using one for digitizing your vinyl collection. The only drawback to this unit is the phono amp you use will have to be of very high quality in order to get the most from the Masterlink.

John Atkinson (Cantus recordings) has used various Alesis mastering/mix down gear for quite awhile now...the SQ from this gear is top notch. The ML9600 is somewhat cheap at 715US considering how expensive some of this gear can get.

Peete.

Dec 25, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #19 of 25
I'd have to take a look at the 9600's manual but I'm fairly certain you can send the signal out via digital to your comp and then back to the 9600 ( a digital effects loop per se) using the comp for the RIAA curve software of your choice. I'm not 100% certain of this however without further reading.

I just prefer analog phono stages myself versus the digital type....of course the advantages to a digital EQ/RIAA processed data stream (noise reduction etc) in terms of what you can do are far more robust vs the single purpose analog stage. Theoretically manipulating the data in the digital domain should be 100% transparent but I find that sometimes that isn't always the case if your computer isn't setup completely for audio use only. However with careful configuration , the right hardware in place the results are great as well.

Another advantage to the Masterlink is the fact that you don't even need a computer to get fantastic results...all you need is the TT, it's analog stage and the Masterlink. Convenient in that respect and it cuts down on any possible computer system circuitry pollution entering the recording/ADC stages.

Peete.

Dec 25, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #20 of 25
Interesting. I don't buy the "noisy PC" thing anymore, sorry. Frankly, it's bogus. You use a PC as source (low power cpu and 120w psu). So what's the difference in pushing a signal in with good components and the right back out.

You've got ADC happening outside the PC in a dedicated box.

We push from disk to DAC. In this case is anything even put on page file? With Sampitude, I'm not sure; it's some pretty hot-$hit software.

I do like the KISS mentality but in this case I don't really want to be recording flat and applying RIAA in batch later. The KORG MR-1000 would be fun, but I'm not into all that work frankly. Real-time noise reduction can be unbelievably effective w/o killing the music.

PureVinyl works well from what I have heard; never witnessed it myself.

DC

Apr 25, 2022 at 4:56 AM Post #24 of 25
currently E1DA cosmos is the best bet for ADC, one of the best specs at any price imo. max sample rate is 384khz which should be ok for most. even i am considering it for live stereo recording. i need recommendation for low noise budget ,mic pres, preferably stereo and usb or battery operated. i already have focusrite scarlet 2i which has in built mic pre and adc but i want to use better adc like E1DA cosmos.

Apr 25, 2022 at 11:58 PM Post #25 of 25
emm Labs ADC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back