Audio-Technica ATH-M50s, Marshall Monitors, or Sennheiser Momentum On Ears????
Nov 29, 2013 at 5:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Omanko

New Head-Fier
Ok, so I just bought the Audio-Technica ATH-M50s on Amazon for 99 bucks, thought it was a steal!

I mean, I really really liked the Marshall Monitors when I tried them out at Best Buy but then I hear everyone raving about the Sennheiser Momentum's (tho I think more so about the over-the-ears rather than the on-ears, right?), so I'm torn.

Did I make the right choice in getting the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 and if I don't like them will I be able to return them (I'm thinking probably not for like "hygiene" reasons or something)?

Should I get the Marshall Monitors or the Sennheiser Momentum On-Ears instead? Or keep the Audio-Technica ATH-M50s?

Tell me your opinion on these three headphones please!

Dec 8, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #3 of 5
Hey Omanko,

it all depends on what you're looking for. What do you want to do with them? What's your music taste? Don't answer "everything" - there are no headphones which do everything perfect - not even for 1000 bucks.

I have the Marshall Monitors and I like them - even if they have their faults. They're especially nice portable phones.

I like:
- portability, foldability, build quality
- bass potential w/o being basshead
- overall evenness and clarity
- decent soundstage
- good seal

Not so much:
- mids can be boxy/shouty around 500Hz-1kHz (but I'm very sensitive there - I also find the mids on a AKG K-701 shouty)
- small earcup size, don't fully cover my ears (but it's okay)

The Marshalls are good for any kind of music except piano-centric stuff like piano Jazz, some female vocals (high but warm vocals like Goldfrapp can be problematic with the mids). Rock, Funk and Electronic are great on these!

I also listened to the M50s, and from memory I think they're comparable in sound quality. I'm not sure about the mids of them. I remember some colorisation, but no boxiness. Soundstage is not so good though, but for 100 bucks it's a steal!

If you're looking for a portable phone, I can recommend the Marshall Monitor. I'm happy to have bought the Marshalls and not bigger studio headphones (I was leaning towards the Shure SRH 840 or 940). That's what I'll do now: I will be getting Beyerdynamic DT 880 for at home.

Dec 23, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #4 of 5
The Marshall Monitors sound really good, are built tough, and can be modded by taking out the foam/filter, if you want a brighter sound.

But you get what you pay for, and the Momentum over ear is better and more refined.

You did well to get the M50s at that price. I think they give the Marshalls a run for their money,very close in quality, it all depends on what your ears tell you

Dec 24, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #5 of 5
  The Marshall Monitors sound really good, are built tough, and can be modded by taking out the foam/filter, if you want a brighter sound.

But you get what you pay for, and the Momentum over ear is better and more refined.

You did well to get the M50s at that price. I think they give the Marshalls a run for their money,very close in quality, it all depends on what your ears tell you

I think he was looking for on-ear Momentum, from the subject of the post?  I had over-ear MOMENTUM and still have M50.  In terms of sound quality I do agree $300+ pair of Senns will worth every penny, but M-50 is a great value for $100.  If I remember from Tyll's review, he suggested that on-ear cut some corners in terms of sound quality, thus a lower price.  Big advantage of M-50 is portability.where they fold very nicely and you can get one of those Slappa cases to fit it.  Momentum over-/on-ear doesn't fold and case is kind of bulky.  But then, Senns have detachable cable which going to save you headaches in a long run if cable break, while M-50 has a fixed cable..

By itself each headphone will sound great, especially after stand alone burn in and extensive listening when your ears adjust to it.  But once you start doing a/b comparison - that's were you find the truth of which one sounds better with your particular style and source of music.  If you are happy with M-50, enjoy it!!!  If you are having doubts, get Senns on-ear and do comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back