Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 repairs, need some advice.
Dec 22, 2014 at 7:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Kaputcha

New Head-Fier
Hi,
My brother handed me his partially dismantled ATH-ESW9 the other day, asking if I could finish the job he started.  I'll go back to the beginning.

Supposedly he was wearing them when he stood up, and the cable got caught on something; in his words, the cable was stretched and there was no longer any audio coming through on both channels.  He tried a different source and still had no luck, so he was pretty certain it was a damaged cable.

He sourced some new cable and a 3.5mm jack and proceeded to dismantle the phones and de-solder one of the cans.  He got to point where is technical skill could get him no further and asked me to help (I'm an electronics technician by trade).  I got the phones to a workbench, de-soldered the second can, cleaned up the terminals and began work on the new cable.  I soldered the jack to the cable, and soldered one channel of the headphones, and plugged it in to test, but there was no audio coming through.  I tried the second can, and the same thing happened.  No audio, from multiple sources.

I de-soldered the cans and decided to check continuity on the coils, as far as I know the ESW9 are 42ohm cans, but both coils measuring as open-circuit.  I'm measuring from the solder terminals, so I can't see if there is some kind of small digital trickery behind the plastic casing of the drivers.

Does anyone have any advice, or know why I might be measuring open circuit, considering it sounds like it all began with a simple cable stretch?

Thanks,

Thom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back