Audio Technica AD7 Short Review by a newbie :)
Aug 16, 2002 at 6:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Guyferd

1000+ Head-Fier
First of all I would say that this is just a very plain review from a perception of normal person. I'm no audiophile so I can't really comment on their midrange, high, etc.. as I don't know what all these mean.. so I will just a very brief review.. I hope you don't mind
smily_headphones1.gif

Well.. since those of you in europe and US has difficulty with getting some of audio technice phones.. This is to introduce some of their open air style.. ard $100 price range. There are alot(according to audiotechnica), like ad5,7,9 etc. but I can only find ad7 in the shop in singapore here.. so I recommended my friend to give it a try since he was looking ard for a headphone.Myself I already have beyer dt250 for about 2 months.

The AD7 is priced at $110.

Early impressions: these things are bigger than my beyer and its definately noticeable. I wouldn't recommend to use them as portable can though.. although it can be easily driven by portables.

Build quality: the cable is quite durable and silky smooth. The headphone looks tough and it's made from metal(silver colour). It can stand up to brutality but of course.. don't pour water at em.. :p

Comfort: Comfortable. The 'wing' which support the head, as all the AT phone is very good and you feel as though the phone is very light and may forget that you are wearing them.

Sound: Ouch! This phone is extremely bright( few weeks ago). Even now it's still very bright. I don't know.. maybe it's because my brain has already registered the beyer's dark sound, so it feels very bright to me.
For some people this is OK. They sound clearer though.. but one thing I really hate about this phone is that the bright sound reveals all the bad cd records and mp3s. It's definately very noticeable.
The bass on this phone is good and tight, if I have to compare it to the dt250-80, I would say the beyer only win by a slight margin. The bass definately earns my respect.
They are quite enjoyable but I still prefer the beyer, I guess it's because of the bright treble.
To me they are only slightly fatiquing.
The good music to go along with this I suppose are some pop and ballads, it really does well with guitar though, the sound of strings on guitar is definately better than beyer(which is kinda dark).

I would say if you are looking for a new pair of can and love bright sounding cans, you should really give this a look. It's definately better than senn hd280 pro( the ad7 has better bass and tighter).I assume then that they are both quite bright too? and in the same price range?

Thanks.

Aug 16, 2002 at 8:42 AM Post #2 of 3
nice review!
damn! senn 600s or AD10s?...
I like grados so the highs are not a problem...I like the separation in the ATs....
so many cans, so little money..
md

Users who are viewing this thread

Back