Audio GD vs Burson
Sep 17, 2021 at 9:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

E8ArmyDiver

100+ Head-Fier
Say you have 3 pair cans of different Sq. & impedances,say 20/60 & 300..Choosing between the Audio GD R28(2021)& the Burson Conductor 3 Reference who gets your $ & why?

Sep 17, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #2 of 12
Bueller??? Bueller??? Bueller???

Sep 17, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #3 of 12
And as if I had enough trouble deciding now I've found the Violectric V380,which has EVERYTHING,balanced h/p & 2 SE for shared listening but man at $2500.00 the absolute outer edge of my budget..Better than the Burson C3R @+ $500.00?Better than the Audio GD @ +$1000.00?

Sep 17, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #4 of 12
Conductor 3 Reference vs. R-28 (2021)
1. Power supply: SMPS vs. linear power supply with dual torroid and multiple discrete regulators.

2. Headamp: opamp type based design (hybrid modules) with a large negative feedback to cancel distortions vs. class A discrete implementation with only a local feedback applied (no multistage feedback like with opamps).

3. Volume control: analog pot with annoying free play (which better brands do not have) vs. digitally controlled (relay based) stepped attenuator with precision Vishay/KOA resistors giving virtually no channel imbalance.

4. DAC: Chip DAC Delta-Sigma implementation vs. discrete R2R design NOS/8xOSmax selectable.

5. Internal high frequency noise sources: Bluetooth tranceivers vs. none.

What I should say. Supermaket type vs. a pure audiophile product.

Sep 17, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #5 of 12
Appreciate the reply.Can you confirm something for me..I want to use this as a PreAmp to my amp & headphone from the R28..Do I understand you must push the "Pre"button on the back of unit EVERY time you switch between Pre & Headphone?Thanks much.

Sep 17, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #6 of 12
Not. There is a red button on the back and the other button on front. See my response in R-28 thread.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #7 of 12
An audio dealer I buy from now & again had a BNIB R28(2021)with the upgraded remote that was a return @ 20% discount incl.shipping so I went with the R28..Saved a lot of $,I hope the performance doesn't leave me wishing I had spent more..

Nov 30, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #8 of 12
1. Power supply: SMPS vs. linear power supply with dual torroid and multiple discrete regulators.

2. Headamp: opamp type based design (hybrid modules) with a large negative feedback to cancel distortions vs. class A discrete implementation with only a local feedback applied (no multistage feedback like with opamps).

3. Volume control: analog pot with annoying free play (which better brands do not have) vs. digitally controlled (relay based) stepped attenuator with precision Vishay/KOA resistors giving virtually no channel imbalance.

4. DAC: Chip DAC Delta-Sigma implementation vs. discrete R2R design NOS/8xOSmax selectable.

Nov 30, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #9 of 12

"Supermarket," that's utter nonsense. I've owned two Burson Conductor References and they are excellent; true audiophile quality. In fact, in terms of bang for the buck, they are among the best head amps, at any price. Read the reviews. Listen, instead of citing specs.

Jul 22, 2022 at 4:21 AM Post #10 of 12
"Supermarket," that's utter nonsense. I've owned two Burson Conductor References and they are excellent; true audiophile quality. In fact, in terms of bang for the buck, they are among the best head amps, at any price. Read the reviews. Listen, instead of citing specs.
I used to own a Burson ref 3 and found it had a digital signature to it. I compared it to my old reliable Burson Ha-160 and much preferred the sound of the HA-160. Which had a linear power and not the switching power supply that they use now. The older Burson just sounds better. Plus, with all the phones I have it easily drives them effortlessly. Burson's earlier simplicity and single-minded purist approach to better sound works pretty well plus it is built literally like a tank.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #11 of 12
To be fair, he's not wrong. Opamp based design vs discrete is kind of like a 4 cylinder vs 10 cylinder lamborghini. Opamp design by purpose is to save space and costs.

Dual R-core transformers, discrete vs opamp, r2r ladder vs delta sigma, that alone should seal your decision. Check how much an entry level r2r ladder dac costs and you'll see how good a value the r28 is.

I've listened to one of the Burson conductor dac/amps at canjam with my own headphones that I brought to the show and as I compared to my audio-gd master 19 with the same headphones, I didn't realize how good the master 19 was till after I demo'd all the various gear at the show.

In my experience, the audio-gd stuff offers alot more for the price point than its competitors. Only after I've bought and sold stuff that I regret not going all audio-gd for components.

You won't find alot of reviews for audio-gd gear because even though the company is based in china, he's not a chi-fi brand, he's been around for a long time. He doesn't market, he doesn't send out review units. The company is a premium audiophile brand that just happens to be based in china, if he were based out of the US or EU, his gear would cost at least 3x as much.

Jul 22, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #12 of 12
To be fair, he's not wrong. Opamp based design vs discrete is kind of like a 4 cylinder vs 10 cylinder lamborghini. Opamp design by purpose is to save space and costs.

Dual R-core transformers, discrete vs opamp, r2r ladder vs delta sigma, that alone should seal your decision. Check how much an entry level r2r ladder dac costs and you'll see how good a value the r28 is.

I've listened to one of the Burson conductor dac/amps at canjam with my own headphones that I brought to the show and as I compared to my audio-gd master 19 with the same headphones, I didn't realize how good the master 19 was till after I demo'd all the various gear at the show.

In my experience, the audio-gd stuff offers alot more for the price point than its competitors. Only after I've bought and sold stuff that I regret not going all audio-gd for components.

You won't find alot of reviews for audio-gd gear because even though the company is based in china, he's not a chi-fi brand, he's been around for a long time. He doesn't market, he doesn't send out review units. The company is a premium audiophile brand that just happens to be based in china, if he were based out of the US or EU, his gear would cost at least 3x as much.
While most op-amps are a compromise, it isn’t true with the Bursons. Far from it. That said, and despite my enjoyment from them, I now have the Master 19, too, and agree, it’s incredible—and a real bargain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back