Audio-gd DIY TDA1541AS2 DAC
Jun 3, 2019 at 2:32 AM Post #16 of 19
Hi Scott,

Yes, the S2's are in now and are burning in, they too. This huge dac is amazing. As I wrote earlier the TDA-dac sounds very nice with the S1/A chips. With the S2's it is in another division.

I have been silent because all the burning in of all the XO's and the DA7-V2 boards. The sound from the gears (R2R-7, NFB27.77, TDA) are playing on a high level in general, but they still have changes. The R2R-7 got its treat the first of may. The 27.77, the 4'th and the TDA arrived at the 23'rd. The TDA has a high defined and a very forgiving presentation. The most noticeable changes when I put in the S2's was the immediate expansion of the scene. The dept and size was much bigger and it was so much clearer and with a very black background. "Like changing the water in a muddy aquarium to a cleaned one with a bright and clear visibilty. Fresh feeling". Still maturing. Great things are going on..

The TDA1541AS2 dac can "compete" with the later ones. It is pretty astonishing taken it is a early chip from the 90's. It is a another, different sound with a little more THD, I guess, but it is a nice one so it makes the sound feel "filled" and surrounding, engaging... Somewhere in between the R2R-7 and Master 7 in clarity, I think.
It is a listening completely without effort, if You understand..? Very easy flowing harmonies, full bass. Piano, voices and strings sounds fantastic....everything does really.

It plays red book (of course) and high res PCM's beautifully.

The trade off with this dac is the lack of possiblity to play DSD, but it is a minor "problem" for this otherwise fantastic performance.

I am very pleased with this dac this far and I will never let it go.

I will play more music on all the gears until they all have stabilized. Will come back with the comparison then.

/Jan

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #19 of 19
@JaMo Thank you for the detailed report. Too many DACs and not enough time!

Yes, the gears adds up and I cannot gather them to forever. In some time I have to let some of them have new homes, of course. But for now it is possible for me to own a few too many to learn from... Propably a very few favorites will stay in the end.. I also hate the idea of " to die without knowing" ; )
/J

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back